Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): Starting but won't stay running

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2017, 11:12 AM
1 Year Member
Default Starting but won't stay running

I have a 2000 ss, and after doing some research I've come to the conclusion that my problem is the throttle body, or somewhat close to it. There are two little pipe looking things stemming off of the front and to the left (goes to over above the center of the motor), the right one has what looks like smoke coming out of it when I try to start my car, can anyone help me out here please? I'm no professional I'm still learning, just trying to save money doing the jobs myself.

Old 01-05-2017, 11:19 AM
1 Year Member

This is a photo I found on Google that I was using as a reference because it looks identical to my problem area, the end of the red line is what I'm seeing smoke come out of, it's a very small amount but that's it.

Attached Images
File Type: png
IMG_3920.PNG (3.61 MB, 15 views)
Old 01-05-2017, 12:16 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

OK. That's one of the hardest parts there is to look up because the name and description is so vague. GM simply calls it "Harness". GM part# 24506671. It's part of the EVAP system for fuel vapor recovererly. The "smoke" you see is fuel vapors. It's pretty common for that rubber boot that connects to the throttle body to split because it dries out. It can effect vacuum pressure when it leaks.

Here's the part: MONTE CARLO IMPALA 3.8 FUEL PRESSURE REGULATOR VACUUM HARNESS 2000-2005 24506671 | eBay

Last edited by plumbob; 01-05-2017 at 12:34 PM.
Old 01-05-2017, 01:24 PM
1 Year Member

Thank you!!! I've been pulling my hair out all day trying to figure out what the **** that's called. Thank you again so much!

Old 01-05-2017, 02:02 PM
10 Year Member

Glad to be of help

Old 01-08-2017, 05:05 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2014
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by plumbob
OK. That's one of the hardest parts there is to look up because the name and description is so vague. GM simply calls it "Harness". GM part# 24506671. It's part of the EVAP system for fuel vapor recovererly. The "smoke" you see is fuel vapors. It's pretty common for that rubber boot that connects to the throttle body to split because it dries out. It can effect vacuum pressure when it leaks.

Here's the part: MONTE CARLO IMPALA 3.8 FUEL PRESSURE REGULATOR VACUUM HARNESS 2000-2005 24506671 | eBay

Had to save this on my eBay these things break so easily and like u said are hard to find me cause of the name thanks alot

Old 01-08-2017, 06:02 PM
10 Year Member

Anytime George.

Old 07-22-2017, 01:11 PM
1 Year Member

This problem wound up being my mass airflow sensor. Got a new one, but another sensor is shorting it out so I have it unplugged for the moment until I can figure out which one it is. As it was explained to me: Since we have two sensors where most cars only have one or the other, we can run the car with only one sensor plugged in. Thanks all for the help!! Greatly appreciated.

Old 07-22-2017, 07:41 PM
10 Year Member

Be careful there Dawn. Our cars actually have dozens of sensors and I can't think of any two that are the same.
Do you know which two sensors were explained to you? I suggest getting the car scanned for trouble codes to tell you what part or sensor needs to be replaced. Running the car with certain sensors unplugged for extended periods can damage other components.
What brand MAF sensor was installed? I've heard only bad things about rebuilt ones like Cardone. It seems our cars prefer the ACDelco brand.

Last edited by plumbob; 07-22-2017 at 07:44 PM.
Old 07-22-2017, 10:13 PM
1 Year Member

I'm not sure of the brand, I would have to look. I was told mine has a MAPS and a mass airflow sensor whereas most other cars have one or the other. Since my mass airflow sensor shorted out again we unplugged it, was told it may be a little rough starting because of this but nothing has seemed off kilter to me. Though ever since we somewhat solved this problem and got the car to at least Drivable condition, everything else on it has since started to fall apart it seems. That rear passenger tire is making that god awful noise, the sunroof and it's motor need replacing, it overheats and we don't know why, it needs a new oil/tranny pan and hopefully that'll fix the leaking of both of those fluids.. it needs an entire new ac system. Hubby wants to keep it, I say trash the whole thing because I'm tired of working on it. Every time we fix one thing, something else horrible goes wrong. For example we replaced the cv axle because the boot had broken and the car was shaking so bad it felt like we were on one of the first wooden roller coasters ever built lol, then not even a month later the noise thing on the rear passenger end starts when you touch the brakes. One thing after another. Sigh :/