Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Rear Brake Pad replacement - 99 Z34

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 08:44 AM
Default Rear Brake Pad replacement - 99 Z34

So this past weekend I was trying to replace my brake pads on the 99 Monte. The rotors were warped and the pads were chattering, so I had the rotors turned, and had new pads ready to go. I started at the rear. Replaced the rotor and removed the pads. Went to push the piston back into the caliper so I could install the new pads and the damn piston will not budge. I'm using a c-clamp, but I don't want to tighten it much since I know that the piston should go in easily, Anyway after trying to move either the right or left rear piston without any luck and after some cursing, I put the old pads back on and give up. (It was starting to rain at this point too - and I was outside. Not happy.)

Since then, thanks to google, I read that because the rear calipers have the emergency brake integrated in to them, the piston can only be pushed in by "turning and pushing" at the same time. Apparently you rotate the piston (clockwise) and push in at the same time to move it??

Anyone have any experience with this??? Any advice on special tools needed?? Some say buy a "cube" that has pins to grip the piston - it attaches to a ratchet, some say just use needle nose pliers.

I know someone out there has been throught this, so help me out.

Old 06-25-2012, 08:56 AM

I did mine recently on my 2001 but no issues getting the caliber back in with a C clamp. Not sure if there is a difference on the 99.

Old 06-25-2012, 08:59 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by JaxJim
So this past weekend I was trying to replace my brake pads on the 99 Monte. The rotors were warped and the pads were chattering, so I had the rotors turned, and had new pads ready to go. I started at the rear. Replaced the rotor and removed the pads. Went to push the piston back into the caliper so I could install the new pads and the damn piston will not budge. I'm using a c-clamp, but I don't want to tighten it much since I know that the piston should go in easily, Anyway after trying to move either the right or left rear piston without any luck and after some cursing, I put the old pads back on and give up. (It was starting to rain at this point too - and I was outside. Not happy.)

Since then, thanks to google, I read that because the rear calipers have the emergency brake integrated in to them, the piston can only be pushed in by "turning and pushing" at the same time. Apparently you rotate the piston (clockwise) and push in at the same time to move it??

Anyone have any experience with this??? Any advice on special tools needed?? Some say buy a "cube" that has pins to grip the piston - it attaches to a ratchet, some say just use needle nose pliers.

I know someone out there has been throught this, so help me out.
You are correct its a turn and push to back off the caliper to fit the new pads on!

Old 06-25-2012, 09:10 AM

From what I read, this is an issue on any vehicle which has rear disc brakes and uses both hydraulic pressure (normal braking) and mechanical pressure (e-brake) to operate the same brake pads.

You learn something new every day!

Oh, and there was very little mention of this in either my Chilton's or GM service manual. I would have thought that a big "CAUTION- to depress the rear piston, turn and rotate, blah, blah, blah" would be appropriate.

What are you people doing/using to get the piston back in the caliper ???

Old 06-25-2012, 09:20 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

From what I read, this is an issue on any vehicle which has rear disc brakes and uses both hydraulic pressure (normal braking) and mechanical pressure (e-brake) to operate the same brake pads.

You learn something new every day!

Oh, and there was very little mention of this in either my Chilton's or GM service manual. I would have thought that a big "CAUTION- to depress the rear piston, turn and rotate, blah, blah, blah" would be appropriate.

What are you people doing/using to get the piston back in the caliper ???
Theres a tool that rotates it back into position while compressing the piston back in place....

Should be able to purchase it at many local auto parts stores

Old 06-25-2012, 02:55 PM

OEM/Disc Brake Caliper Tool Set (27111) | Disc Brake Caliper Tool | AutoZone.com_

Just an example, probably be able to rent the tool from a local parts store too if you don't want to buy

Old 10-18-2016, 02:58 PM

From what I read, this is an issue on any vehicle which has rear disc brakes and uses both hydraulic pressure (normal braking) and mechanical pressure (e-brake) to operate the same brake pads........

Oh, and there was very little mention of this in either my Chilton's or GM service manual. I would have thought that a big "CAUTION- to depress the rear piston, turn and rotate, blah, blah, blah" would be appropriate
I know this is an older thread but no sense starting a new thread about the same subject.

I was doing my rear pads on my '99 Monte and (again) cursing the design of these rear calipers! This is why I think the best design for rear calipers is for the parking brake to use a small drum brake inside the rotor. This older twist and push and cuss and swear system used 15 to 20 years ago was a non-starter from the day they designed it.

AND, I have the Helm shop manual for my '99 AND IT SHOWS THE WRONG rear calipers! It says use a c-clamp to push in the caliper piston! (It says nothing about twist and push) It says remove the top bolt and then swing the caliper down to replace the pads. WRONG. You remove the bottom bolt and swing the caliper UP!

Oh well! It's been a good car, I bought it new and it's got 219,000 and climbing.