Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Really crappy mileage...

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2007, 04:06 AM
Default Really crappy mileage...

Lately I have been getting aroudn 15 and 16 in town which I thought was bad in the first place. I let my car warm up a little bit, but not that much. I usually take it easy with it too. Now I just filled up and I only got 10.5 MPG!! I thought my old caddy was bad! Heck, I get that with my 3/4 ton suburban! This reading isn't from the computer either, I'm actually figuring it out with filling it up and counting the miles and then filling up and dividing the miles by the gallons. Can anyone chime in on why I'm getting such s***y mileage? Thanks

01 Monte SS

Old 01-13-2007, 10:17 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member
Default RE: Really crappy mileage...

whens the last time the plugs and wires and air filter were changed??? or fuel filter as well?? that could be the cause of this problem

Old 01-13-2007, 11:48 AM

also you mentiond in the other thread that you were having a code.
get it checked out and findout if the Catoladic converter is getting plugged up.
it will throw a code
it will csue bad millage
and it will lose power from it also.

Old 01-13-2007, 11:38 PM

Fuel and air filter were just replaced. Not sure if the plugs or wires have been replaced, but I'm pretty sure they haven't.

I just went on a trip and going around an average of 74 mph I got 24 MPG. I got better with my caddy which weighed a ton more and had the northstar.

Does anyone know of prices for plugs/wires? How much would it cost to get a high flow cat. converter put on also? Also, I've heard about a U-bend removal in the exhaust. Would a exhaust place know what I was talking about if I mentioned it and how much have you guys paid to have it removed? Thanks for your help!

Old 01-14-2007, 02:04 AM

Igot the Random Technology Downpipe with the high flow cat and u bend delete all off www.3800performance.com. installed it my self in about one and one half to two hours time. milege went up a little but the power gain was really noticable.

Also if you do get the u-bend delete and high flow cat you might want to invest in the o2 simulator from 3800performance to because i think there is a couple of people on here that have done this and get a check engine light because the o2 sensor can not handle the higher flow from the engine. i got the o2 simulatorand my check engine light never came on.

I think if you did go to a good exhaust shop they might now what you are talking about. but it also is just a matter of what tpe of cars they usaul work on there

Hope you get your monte fixed