Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Changed Spark plugs, now Service tcs on and crappy ride

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 07:56 PM
Default Changed Spark plugs, now Service tcs on and crappy ride

Changed the spark plugs today, which wasn't nearly as bad as I expected, until I drove it. It runs fine at idle, and even at about 10-15 % throttle. Once it is opened up, it feels almost as if the tranny doesn't have enough fluid (not the issue) and the tcs messages start popping up. PUshing it through the gears is almost like I'm pulling a tree down the highway (spradically going from full power to half or barely any). not sure what to do.

The Tcs message has shown before, but it went away the next morning--I'm not sure what next step to take other than jiggling wires..and if that doesn't work heading to the dealer...any help a college kid avoid that big bill would be great

Thanks in advance

Old 03-14-2011, 08:07 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Possibly a clogged cat??

Old 03-14-2011, 11:34 PM

wouldn't that have posed issues prior to today? this is the first time that lucille (mycar) has been a pain to drive. even though the light has come on beforew

Old 03-15-2011, 07:34 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Do you know what codes are popping up? Did you put the wires in the correct order?

Old 03-15-2011, 07:41 AM

Can't spell PIMP without an MP
Monte Of The Month -- November 2010
2010 Monte Of The Year
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Did you properly gap your new spark plugs? That sounds like it is the problem to me.

Old 03-15-2011, 10:36 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

Since the problem began AFTER plug and wire change, I would explore that. First, what brand plugs and wires did you use? If the plugs are BOSCH, my experience says, rip them out. AC Delco plugs are your safest bet, I have also been recently happy with NGK's. I've used AC Delco and BOSCH plug wires happily.

Now, moving on, here are other things to check:
1. - When taking the old plugs out, did you notice any of them having different "wear" patterns or anomolies? That could point you to a problem cylinder.
2. - Plug gap (I know some plugs come pre-gap-ed, regardless, good point to check before putting them in). MillerMonteSS mentioned this a moment ago.
3. - Condition of plug wires, any damage to them. Check for possible arcing (usually good to do at night and some times a spray bottle of water helps).
4. - You don't want to over tighten the plugs, BUT, are they all properly "snugged" into their holes?
5. - Verify the firing order and ensure you did not mix something up (this is pretty unlikely, as you should notice it running like crap the moment you start it).
6. - Ensure you did not knock loose a vacuum line OR brake a vaccum line connector.

Those are my initial thoughts to look at.

Old 03-15-2011, 10:37 AM

i'll pull them and gap them again- I do the plugs one at a time to ensure the wiring is in correct order. i used the bosch platinum which "do not require gapping" I was a little skeptical of that myself. The check engine light is on constant also when I took it for a ride around the block this a.m. I'm going to check and make sure I didn't unplug or mess up the wiring to the oxygen sensor when I broke my wrist in two places to get to the back three plugs lol

Old 03-15-2011, 10:39 AM

it's weird cause the engine runs like a top when idling, and revving in the yard- park and nuetral. it's just once it gets under power. But i'll jump under the hood this afternoon and see if you're verdicts are correct...any input is well appreciated guys--thanks

Old 03-15-2011, 11:24 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by musicmanlott
i used the bosch platinum which "do not require gapping" I was a little skeptical of that myself.
Step one, I mean this in all seriousness, get rid of the BOSCH plugs. BOSCH plugs and GM v6 engines equal issues. A guy I work with used those in his wife's Impala and had a misfire instantly on one of the cylinders (in that case, was a broken plug). My father used them in a 3400 in a Grand Am, lasted 6 months before the car began running like crap. Changed the plugs to AC Delcos, no more problems. I know others with bad experiences. Just ditch them.

AC Delco's are the best for GM engines. The factory AC Delco's in my wife's 3400 Impala I found were re-branded NGK plugs (and I put NGK platinum plugs into the Impala and it runs great).

Also, find out what code you are throwing, that will give you some more direction.

Again, I would dump the BOSCH plugs. Just not worth it.

Old 03-15-2011, 03:27 PM

bought some NGK Iridiums, should be able to take the time to drop them in tomorrow. keeping my fingers crossed. I picked up the bosch's knowing that they weren't the best, but idiot on my part probably- they sounded descent. But typically of the American market, not all things that sound good are. I used to run NGK's in my S-10 Blazer- but it was HIGHLY modified and required much hotter plugs. (504 Crate engine w/ Tremec 5-speed Manual-i miss it, but Lucille is a whole lot nicer at the pump, and I've never had to beg that lil 3.5 to get into the fast lane :p

Quick Reply: Changed Spark plugs, now Service tcs on and crappy ride