Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

7th Gen ('06-'07): Random No crank condition. Impossible problem.

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2016, 04:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Random No crank condition. Impossible problem.

OK. Stop me if you've ever heard of this problem.

First, some background on the car. It's an 06 Monte LS. It has 73000 miles on the odometer. I've owned the car for about 5 years. It has a remote start system that was professionally installed about 5 years ago.

Never had a problem with the car starting until about a year ago. Had the dealership look at it and they replaced the ignition switch. This fix lasted about 1 month. I dealt with it for a time. Same problem about 6 months ago. Dealership says it was a ground problem. Fixed it. Again, fix did not last long. The problem started up again. Now it's worse that ever. I really don't think the dealership knows how to fix it.

The problem:
The car will randomly not crank when either the key is turned or the remote start is engaged. Sometimes it will start right up, others, it may take up to 5 minutes and uncounted trys to start the car. during the no crank condition, all I hear is a clicking sound from under the dash. When it is ready to start I hear a whining sound, like the fuel pump powering up?

I've never seen this problem in all the cars I've ever owned. Does anyone have an idea of what I need to check/look for in diagnosing this? I'm ready to take it to another shop and I just would like to understand this so I can explain to the shop a course of diagnosis they may take.

Thanks for reading.

Old 11-28-2016, 10:53 PM

What brand of Remote Starter is it?

If it is a brand susceptible to FOB Battery strength, ... start there.

Some need occasional rebooting -- reprogramming -- Bypass Module:
http://www.enormis.net/what-is-a-byp...dule-need-one/

Link to other issues:
6 Common Remote Starter Issues And How To Solve Them

Last edited by RickCoMatic; 11-28-2016 at 11:03 PM.
Old 11-29-2016, 07:05 AM
10 Year Member

@Rick,

Thanks for the reply. It's a Avital unit. As I said I've never had a problem with it. It still starts the car just fine. the problem is the car not cranking problem is present using the remote OR the key. I was thinking of contacting the install shop and having them look at it though. I still think it's some other module that is causing the condition.

Old 04-20-2017, 12:42 PM
10 Year Member

Just an update. I had the shop that installed my remote start look at the car and they did not see a problem with the system. I also took the car to a repair shop and they were unable to find the problem. They said that when it happens, there is no power at the starter. they could not isolate the problem though so, the car is still doing this strange no crank no start condition. Lately the car has started to cut off while driving as well.

I'm pretty much out of ideas at this point. Guess I'll just have to go shop hopping until I find someone who can diagnose this and fix it.

Old 04-20-2017, 04:33 PM

I don't think it is the RS. However I would for the sake of doing your testing put the Unit into Valet Mode. This will still let you lock and unlock the car pop the trunk and all that but only thing it does it take way the Start ability of the system.

Next I would ask the Shop what type if any Starter Kill was put in place. There are a number of systems that can be wired and one is worse then the other. Some don't even use any Kill other then an Anti-Grind feature.

Old 04-20-2017, 04:52 PM

Sorry I had more wrote out but did a re write thought i was only writing over a part however I ended up deleting out the bottom part of my post lol

So I was going to say that I would check with your wiring. I know they said there was no issue with the RS wiring. I even said I don't think it is the issue. However I would look over 1 part on the RS wiring and that is the Starting part of the wiring.

Issue is it may be tested that there was no issue when the Shop that installed it looked it over. however with the problem being not a constant issue it could be hard to tell.

I am not sure how the shop did the install. However If it was my car I would open the Air box and take a look at the ECM/PCM at the Blue harness and see if there is a wire in there that would be part of the RS. I don't want to tell what PIN it is, However you would know if there was something other then Factory wiring in there. If there is, I would check to make sure they didn't connect to it with Scotch Loc connector or something other then a better method then that.

Problem is really this shouldn't have anything to do with the ability for the car to start in some cases however it depends on how it was wired. Also what is in place. There could be a Relay that is starting to fail that if was put in place where it may have been would make the car not able to crank by RS or Key

Some Places to look. Keep us updated to what you find. maybe if there is the wiring in your Air box more then the OEM. Take a picture and post so I can see if there could be an issue.

James