Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Radiator Help/No Heat

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2021, 09:49 PM

Very good suggestion Zippy, this process is similar to the one when working on a Fiero burping the system.

Old 12-10-2021, 11:04 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Jeffs02rwdSS
Very good suggestion Zippy, this process is similar to the one when working on a Fiero burping the system.

LOL, nice, you have the skilzz. That is awesome, it works though. You reinforced that with your experience, suhweet!

Old 12-11-2021, 08:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

This is getting irritating.. It does not seem like my rad is leaking. I CANNOT for the life of me get rid of this sloshing sound in the heater core. Ive jacked up each side (from the front) and let the car run about 45 min for each side with the rad cap off. Squeezed the hell out of both hoses while running. Flushed/back flushed the core several times now.

The heat is better but its going to be useless when it gets really cold out.

I sooo dont want to have to change that core but its looking like that might be the only option. I have a feeling its just coated with sludge on the inside.

Thanks a ton for all the help so far and ill keep an eye out for any other suggestions but I feel ill be posting next, when the core is changed out. I might mess with it again just cause but...

Old 12-11-2021, 06:18 PM

This may have been asked before and I missed it. What degree thermostat does your car have in the engine ? I've seen a bunch of different posts that others would put a 160-180 stat in for performance reason's or because being in southern states. 192-195 degrees is pretty standard in the north, also drilling a small (1/16-1/8 inch) hole into the body of the stat helps circulation and getting a air pocket out from underneath the thermostat.

Last edited by Jeffs02rwdSS; 12-11-2021 at 08:14 PM.
Old 12-12-2021, 08:14 AM
10 Year Member

I just put a new 180* in but ive always had a 180 and the heat was very hot.

Lol im thinkin of just throwing some weight in the back of the Z and driving that for the winter. I have an open diff I can swap in for the snow. The Monte doesnt need all that salt anyway. I got the car from California for that very reason.

Old 12-13-2021, 10:29 AM

hey guys i had no problems with my heater core but had the sloshing sound/air pockets like you do... I wound up changing the rad cap and the system bled out the air into the coolant tank. I still have the leak so it burps it out everyday until i fix it. I'm sure you already tried this but I thought I would mention it. Good luck!

Old 12-13-2021, 02:33 PM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by Monte#3
hey guys i had no problems with my heater core but had the sloshing sound/air pockets like you do... I wound up changing the rad cap and the system bled out the air into the coolant tank. I still have the leak so it burps it out everyday until i fix it. I'm sure you already tried this but I thought I would mention it. Good luck!
Thanks.. Actually you just reminded me some time back while I was removing that cap, it kept spinning without actually coming off. Hmm. I have an aftermarket rad that has a different cap than stock. Wonder if thats introducing air into the rad..

Old 12-16-2021, 10:39 PM

your welcome yeah with my cap it was so tight that I needed plumbing pliers to get it off even after it started cooling down! It wouldn't draw fluid from the tank nor would it let any air pass through to the tank. Heat wouldn't work, sloshing sound, etc. I also noticed the rad cap that was on it was 15PSI and the AC delco that came was 18PSI (the one that worked). It all got better once i changed the cap. So here is hoping this helps your situation! Its certainly cheap to test out the theory anyway!

Old 01-05-2022, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by wht02monte
Thanks.. Actually you just reminded me some time back while I was removing that cap, it kept spinning without actually coming off. Hmm. I have an aftermarket rad that has a different cap than stock. Wonder if thats introducing air into the rad..
did you ever get it fixed and get heat? Definitely cold enough to need heat lately!

Old 01-05-2022, 01:01 PM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by Monte#3
did you ever get it fixed and get heat? Definitely cold enough to need heat lately!
No, nothing fixed it. Im assuming the heater core is just lined with gunk on the inside and I dont feel like taking it apart to change it. Id rather not drive it in this salty crap anyway. It pains me too much. I got this car from California so I know the history would be salt free.

Quick Reply: Radiator Help/No Heat