Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Radiator dirty/won't stay clean

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 02:04 AM
Default Radiator dirty/won't stay clean

ok much apoligies if i'm posting this where it shouldn't be, i'm new to the forum and cant find anything else on radiators. A few months ago i noticed my radiator fluid was very dirty/ looks like mud inside... i've flushed it and have had a shop flush it but its back again...it only takes about a week for the "mud" to start coming back. what can i do to fix this? is it my radiator or inside the engine? also if i was to flush everything and install a new radiator, would that possibly help?

Old 07-28-2011, 07:55 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

From what I know, this is somewhat normal of DEX-Cool if it's not flushed on a regular interval.

Some people will insist you should flush and swap over to green coolant, claiming DEX Cool destroys the nylon gaskets in the car. Before anyone raises that flag, I know the green stuff does it too.

If you don't have a temp related problem, I don't think I'd panic, but I agree with trying to get it out of the system. You could try adding a Prestone cleaning/flushing additive (follow the directions on the small bottle, it's found at any auto parts store and looks like a mini-anti-freeze bottle). It honestly may take multiple flushes.

With that said, knowing it might take multiple flushes, since it's summer time, some might disagree, but I would consider flushing the system, run straight water for a day or two, flush again and repeat until it appears all that crud is gone. I say water only because constantly buying anti-freeze just to dispose of it in a day or two gets pricey and during the summer, water won't freeze. Running water you have two issues, one anti-freeze is also a lubricant for things like your water pump and secondly, anti-freeze changes the boiling point of your coolant. So running straight water, the car might run a degree or two hotter. The third risk is people that forget they put straight water in the system or don't get a proper 50/50 mix of water and anti-freeze only to have it freeze in the winter and crack the block.

Old 07-28-2011, 08:27 AM

A variant on what The-Maniac already said...

I'd drain the coolant, fill with distilled water (tap water works but generally contains minerals that you don't want in your engine), run the engine 'til the coolant is flowing for at least a few minutes, allow the engine to cool sufficiently, then drain and repeat the whole process again at least one more time. After two or three flushes with just water, refill with the normal 50/50 coolant/distilled water mix. This process takes many hours due to engine cool-down time, but you can do it in a day.

Old 07-28-2011, 09:05 AM

Thanks but i have done this multiple flush thing, today was the second time, not including the flush an auto shop done. we will see how it goes, but dont think its going to go away. Does someone know where this is coming from, my engine or radiator?

Old 07-28-2011, 09:28 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

When the flush was done was it just a radiator flush or whole system?

was dexcool put back into the car or was it the green stuff?

Old 07-28-2011, 09:33 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Perhaps you have a small air leak somewhere in the system? Usually Dexcool turns to mud when it breaks down because of air, or a foreign liquid.

Old 07-28-2011, 10:06 AM

ive done this once before and again today....drained coolant,flushed w/ water,filled w/ water,ran engine,drained water,filled w/ water,ran engine,drained,filled w/ water and flush,ran engine,drained,filled w/ water,ran engine,drained,filled w/ coolant/water! is that what you mean w/ system flush? And yes it was the green stuff, i know the manual sais add dex-cool, but it wasnt available when i had this done, and it started before i touched the coolant. there was an owner before me, not sure what they used. what is the special about dex-cool, is it a type of coolant or a brand?

Blacksheep... is there any way for me to check for a type of leak, be it air or fluid?

Old 07-28-2011, 10:12 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

If you put green stuff in, there's a chance there was still an amount of dexcool just floating around and that's probably what turned to mud.

Dexcool can be purchased anywhere, odd that you can't find it. It's a special coolant that isn't supposed to break down as much as green stuff, etc. etc. Our cars came with it from the factory and it is known for not being friendly with touching other stuff.

There is a way to check. Pressure test. You can probably rent a tool from autozone or a local place, you take the cap off and put this on in its place, and then you pressurize the system and see if the pressure drops any where.

Old 07-28-2011, 10:41 AM

i just read over my past posts, i thought i had thrown this out there, but guess not. i'm military, stationed in germany... thats why i cant find it, also, i dont have an autozone around the corner, haha.i could have an auto place order it for me but yea, thats the reason its not being used now. The pressure test sounds simple enough, if i can find the "tool".

Old 07-28-2011, 11:18 AM

Sounds like you've flushed it enough times by now...

The pressure test works great. You just remove the radiator cap, put the pressure-test-tool-cap in it's place, pump up the pressure and then watch the tool's pressure gauge for a drop, looking for leaks if there is a drop.

If there isn't an auto parts store that will loan you one, you might need to have a shop do it for you. Or maybe buying one is cheaper?? They're about $100.

Out of curiosity... Does your oil look normal? No frothy or milky looking stuff inside the oil fill cap?

Quick Reply: Radiator dirty/won't stay clean