Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

quick simple question

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 04:13 PM
Default quick simple question

im about to do a tune up on my 96 monte, its got the 3.4 DOHC

my question is what spark plugs does this engine run best on......

ive always stayed away from platinum plugs but i also usually only work on my 92 bronco 5.0 which loves autolite coppers an missfires like a **** on platinums but from what google gave me alot of people have been putting some kind of platinums in these cars

so if you could just point me in the rite direction an give me a brand and style of plug most of you guys run id greatly appreciate it

Old 01-30-2013, 11:15 AM

TTT

was using search but the only thing im finding is that the platinums seem to have a problem with the "puck" falling off after a bit of time......was looking at some iridiums yesterday but im being told to gap at .045, the underhood sticker says .060 an the iridiums are non gappable cause youll break the tip off, the coppers are still the cheapest......but cheap isnt always better

im also being told to use platinums but ive had very bad experience with them.....would like to have a few members with some input before i go threw removing the plenum just to put some plugs in that are gonna fail me an make me do this all over again in a few days

Old 01-30-2013, 11:22 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2008

Originally Posted by 3.4Dually
im about to do a tune up on my 96 monte, its got the 3.4 DOHC

my question is what spark plugs does this engine run best on......

ive always stayed away from platinum plugs but i also usually only work on my 92 bronco 5.0 which loves autolite coppers an missfires like a **** on platinums but from what google gave me alot of people have been putting some kind of platinums in these cars

so if you could just point me in the rite direction an give me a brand and style of plug most of you guys run id greatly appreciate it
My mechanic always reminds me that these W platform Chevys alway run best with the original factory AC/Delco plugs. Just a thought.

Old 01-30-2013, 11:25 AM

Go to Autozone or the dealer and get the OE ACDelco plugs.

Old 01-30-2013, 11:31 AM

thanks gonna go with the ac/delco 41993 iridiums gapped at .060 then......thats what advance has listed as stock replacements

Old 01-30-2013, 11:32 AM

thanks gonna go with the ac/delco 41993 iridiums gapped at .060 then......thats what advance has listed as stock replacements
My mechanic buys directly from the local Chevy dealer at a good discount.

Old 01-30-2013, 11:51 AM

i steer clear of the stealership......i recently changed out my crank sensor an needed a crank position relearn procedure which they charged me $300 just to plug into the car an push a couple buttons....took the tech like 10 mins an cost me a fortune thus the reason i do all my own work, then i know its done as cheap as possible while still being done the proper way.....

Wyotech and 10yrs on job experience helps......but sometimes it helps to hear from other experienced techs too, you can never stop learning

Old 01-30-2013, 11:55 AM

i steer clear of the stealership......i recently changed out my crank sensor an needed a crank position relearn procedure which they charged me $300 just to plug into the car an push a couple buttons....took the tech like 10 mins an cost me a fortune thus the reason i do all my own work, then i know its done as cheap as possible while still being done the proper way.....

Wyotech and 10yrs on job experience helps......but sometimes it helps to hear from other experienced techs too, you can never stop learning
You need to find an independent mechanic that can get a 20-50% discount from the dealer and pass it on to you. That's all I am saying. Hating dealerships is not advantages to cars like ours that need special and dependable parts.

Old 01-30-2013, 12:11 PM

well i dont hate them i just wont let them work on my vehicle ever again, everytime i do they bend me over with no KY....i do however have a long time friend that works at the parts desk of the same dealership an he gets me good deals on parts so i geuss im saying if you do the work yourself an just use them as a parts source they are alright

Old 01-30-2013, 12:56 PM

well i dont hate them i just wont let them work on my vehicle ever again, everytime i do they bend me over with no KY....i do however have a long time friend that works at the parts desk of the same dealership an he gets me good deals on parts so i geuss im saying if you do the work yourself an just use them as a parts source they are alright
Valid point!

Quick Reply: quick simple question