Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

pwr steering problem?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 06:06 PM
Default pwr steering problem?

Last week, I started noticing a noise from under the hood when I started the engine (other than the usual noises). It sounded like it was coming from the area of the steering reservoir. I ran the car by a mechanic quickly before going in to work, and he added a little fluid because it was somewhat low.
Next day, everything seemed back to normal. In fact, everything seemed good up until last night when I was driving home from work, and the noise came back. It seems like the noise is more common when it's particularly cold outside. Started up the car today, on another cold day (around freezing), and the noise is there again. I checked the PS fluid level and it seems OK.
The noise isn't from the belts. Any ideas about what's causing this? Could the PS pump need to be replaced? The car is just over 3 yrs old and has less than 50K miles on it. I'd appreciate any help anyone can give.

Old 02-21-2009, 02:37 PM
Default RE: pwr steering problem?

It is possible that you have a P/S fluid leak since fluid was added to it recently which made the noise stop temporarily. There is a P/S hose that can leak,especially during starts in cold weather conditions. As the P/S fluid level drops the fluid can become aerated which will cause a whine type noise to come from the pump. Even though the fluid level appears ok it can still be aerated.
[hr]

#06-02-32-014: Power Steering Fluid Leak (Replace Hose and Clamps or Pipe/Hose Assembly) - (Nov 1, 2006) [/align]
[align=left] [align=left]

Subject:
Power Steering Fluid Leak (Replace Hose and Clamps or Pipe/Hose Assembly)[/align][align=left]

Models:
2006 Chevrolet Impala, Impala SS, Monte Carlo, Monte Carlo SS[/align][align=left]

2005-2006 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP Only[/align]

[hr]

Condition
Some customers may comment on a fluid leak. Upon investigation, the technician may find that the power steering cooler pipe/hose assmbly is either split or leaking around the clamps. The leak generally occurs during cold start conditions.
Cause
The cause of this leak may be due to the higher pressures generated in cold temperatures. These pressures may exceed the strength of the hose or clamps.
Correction
Use the appropriate repair procedure below based on the engine application of the vehicle being serviced.
V6 Engines

The hose section (1) where the leak can occur is shown above. On V6 applications, the hose fittings are constant tension clamps, therefore, the hose and clamps can be replaced. Use the procedure listed below.
[ol]Raise and support the vehicle.
Place a drain pan under the vehicle.
Remove the hose clamps.
Remove the section of hose from the power steering cooler pipe/hose assembly.
Slide the new clamps onto the new section of hose.
Install the new section of hose with clamps to the power steering cooler pipe/hose assembly.
Position the new clamps and tighten until the torque caps break off.
Clean any fluid residue from under the vehicle.
Lower the vehicle.
Check the power steering fluid level and bleed the system. Refer to Power Steering System Bleeding in SI[/ol][/align][/align]

Old 02-21-2009, 06:13 PM

Hey, thanks for that reply, Steve. That really sounds like the problem I'm having. I did notice some fluid leakage underneath the engine this morning when I pulled the car out, and it was a cold night here. I ran out early this morning and didn't check the PS fluid level before I left, and the steering was the worst it's ever been - very hard to turn the wheel while parking or at low speeds, and a constant whining sound under the hood. When I was able to check the fluid later, it was back down to the "add" level on the stick again.
Was there a recall notice associated with this problem? Has Chevy come up with improved parts to replace the ones you mentioned, or is this just going to happen again after the dealer replaces the parts? I guess since my car is out of warranty now, I'll have to pay for this repair out of pocket.
Have you had this problem with your '07 SS? BTW, that is really a great looking car!

Old 02-22-2009, 09:07 AM

No, my 07 SS has not had this problem. I have seen plenty of Monte Carlo's that do have this problem though, seems that most of them are V6's.

Old 02-26-2009, 10:30 AM

You were right on the money about my pwr steering problem, bowtietech. Took it to the local Chevy dealer on Monday, they replaced that hose and clamps, and now everything seems to be working fine again.
MCF is lucky to have your technical knowledge available to us.

Old 02-26-2009, 11:06 AM

how much was it to replace out the door?

Old 02-26-2009, 11:39 AM

ORIGINAL: sonin66

how much was it to replace out the door?
Parts were very cheap... less than $20 total, but they charged me 1 1/2 hrs labor, and the labor rate here is $109/hr!
It's times like this that I wish I had more mechanicalability (and the right tools) so I could do it myself.