Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Puddling

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 04:47 PM
Default Puddling

Hey guys- I was on this topic earlier this week, regading wet carpet. We had some dry weather that dried up my carpet. It rained pretty good all day today, and I checked the rugs. Seems like the passenger side back floor is squishy. I checked my doors for clogs and they looked good. I also bought and installed that OEM rubber piece that inserts into the cowl... any ideas?

Last edited by 2002 SS; 03-12-2014 at 05:00 PM.
Old 03-12-2014, 04:49 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2014
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by 2002 SS
Hey guys- I was on this topic earlier this week, regading wet carpet. We had some dry weather that dried up my carpet. It rained pretty good all day today, and I checked the rugs. Seems like the passenger side back floor is squishy. I checked my doors for clogs and they looked good. I also bought and installed that aftermarket rubber piece that inserts into the cowl... any ideas?
Did you pull up the carpet? The top level may have dried but the foam underneath takes a long time to dry. I had a portable heater on mine for 9 hours and it was still mildly damp.

Old 03-12-2014, 05:17 PM

Do you recall where your water was coming in at?
Also right above my head on the headliner, theres about a 4"x4" area thats damp. I'm guessing the sunroof seal may be bad with that?

Old 03-12-2014, 05:57 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2014
1 Year Member

Do you recall where your water was coming in at?
Also right above my head on the headliner, theres about a 4"x4" area thats damp. I'm guessing the sunroof seal may be bad with that?
I never saw the water coming in. Just figured it was the missing weather stripping. Could be your sunroof seal failed. Try pulling up your carpet and drying it out thoroughly.

Old 03-12-2014, 08:40 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

There should also be a drain from the sunroof opening - if it gets clogged or comes apart it will leak into the passenger compartment.

Old 03-16-2014, 08:47 PM

The sunroof drains might be plugged up with debris. My dealer cleaned them for free. The guy who did them said you can stick a can of air or compressor where the water would normally drain out ( open the door and the drain is the inch or so black plastic straw looking item ). Or a long wire
Once that was done
Never had an issue again

Old 03-16-2014, 09:15 PM

Thanks for the tips! I tried that and water came out of both straws, so those are clear. I'm guessing maybe the seal is bad, but still , wouldn't the water drain? I might have to go through a car wash and see where else it can be from. My drivers side is now saturated, looking above the sunvisor is damp, as well as the area in front of that on the headliner about the size of a softball.

Last edited by 2002 SS; 03-16-2014 at 09:23 PM.
Old 03-16-2014, 09:32 PM

Hey guys- I was on this topic earlier this week, regading wet carpet. We had some dry weather that dried up my carpet. It rained pretty good all day today, and I checked the rugs. Seems like the passenger side back floor is squishy. I checked my doors for clogs and they looked good. I also bought and installed that OEM rubber piece that inserts into the cowl... any ideas?
Thanks for the thread. My car leaks only when it rains real hard, now I got a few things I can cheek.

Old 03-17-2014, 07:17 AM

Since my drainage portals are clear, I'm thinking the seal may be bad and what thats doing is allowing too much water to collect in the sunroof rails, creating too much at one time for those little drain portals to handle. I did notice my sunroof motor isnt exactly what it used to be (moves slow and lethargically), so maybe when its closing it's not creating a good seal? I may try a new motor, which ironically costs less than a piece of weather-stripping....

Old 03-17-2014, 08:56 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Have you tried cleaning and lubricating the tracks? I've done that once in the 4 years of owning the Monte. Used white grease - didn't like the looks afterwords but it closed quicker.

Someone else told me to use petroleum jelly to avoid the white (now yellow/dirt color) grease appearance.