Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Project Monte Carlo in progress

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2005, 04:51 PM
Default RE: Project Monte Carlo in progress

Back on topic! Anymore ideas for my MonteCarlo project?

Old 06-24-2005, 05:42 PM

ORIGINAL: RITTER

Back on topic! Anymore ideas for my MonteCarlo project?
I'd like to see a twin turbo set up personally...

Old 06-24-2005, 05:48 PM

Do they even make a twin turbo setup for a carb'd engine?

Old 07-11-2005, 10:43 AM

HEY GUYS, THEY MAKE TURBO KITS THAT USE CARBS. BUT ARE HARD TO TUNE FOR EVERY-DAY DRIVING.

I ALSO BOUGHT 88 MONTE, LITTLE PROJECT STREET CAR. HAVE AN ENGINE THAT I THRUOGH TO GETHER 355 WITH TURBO 350,3200 STALL,4:10 GEARS. THE REAREND IS FROM A GRAND NATIONAL WITH BIG DISK BRAKE CONVERSION. HOPE TO HAVE COMPLETE IN A MONTH OR SO....

Old 07-11-2005, 12:45 PM

um i deas for the 84 monte carlo ,
If you can find them the iskie saw blades were real popular back then but they are not easie to find. those and the ultra light drag starts .
not really sure what your looking for . I lived threw that erra LOL
was about 12 years old then so i was workiung on my car athtat time and had some\freinds that owned monte carlos that were helping me out.

if your looking for that look like things we used to do to them then that would be easier then ya think.

stereos were all pull outs they didnt have a clue what a CD player was yet and no clue what a detachabel face was other then the one that was ran over they seems to detach that way pretty good LOL

for interioer if they were not a complet custom job with bucket seats they were stock for the most part.
or if they had buckets then they had the center councl also of course the tintied glass was big as it was still pretty new back then

another thing that was popular in our area anyway was the fog lights but you mount them behind the grill so it would light it up if i were to do it today i would not use them i would do it with the LED strips as they are easier to hid and would be better light and diftrent colors if ya want that.

they alos had the tr4action bars or ladder bars under the cars that needed them and would add a small light to show them off to again i would use a led on that also . Just dont run blue they are police and fire and will get ya ticket quick.

hood scoops and the bug eaters were popular on them also . but the montes seemd to have the scoops more then the bug eaters but there were some out there that did it.

If i can find it i will show ya photos of my 78 but not sure i have any i had a bunch get tore up in a flood and lost a bunch of them.

for other ideas you can look at movies that were out then like fast times at rigmount high.
it was done in the 80's and you can see the cars and how they were done up in it on some of them . Also adam sandler had one out where he went back to school his TA was a 80's car that everyone seem to have three of now you cant find them LOL

but there are some ideas for ya and you can also watch movies and im sure the o\thers here have ideas of things that happend in thier areas of the country also. that is another thing to look at is if you want it done true to the roots of where you lived or not if so then look for information done in your area. I lived in the midwest at that time in the Kansas and Nebraska areas and for the most part they were close if not the same in both.

i would love to pics of this when you get it done I have for a while now thought of doign the same thing with one .

Oh and on the stereos the boxes were not as elaberate as they are now and the amps were never moplded in to the floors etc..

NOS was a big deal to have the bottel and a sticker (most of them ran a empty bottel)
under the hood they had those sleeve kits for the hoses. to make them look steel bradied or those who had the cash had the real stuff under there.

As far as the ele. heater with headers and a good ele heater you wont need much in the winter LOL
but you can get them look for 12 volt heaters for big trucks some are small and compact enough you could mount them under the dash. another option is one of the vintage air systems from vint air. for like a bucket T or somethign that is small just let them know what your trying to do and what it is going in so they can work with ya on that one .

Good luck

Old 06-27-2006, 05:02 AM

yes the do make a twin turbo set up for a sbchevy here is the link http://www.lateral-g.net/products/bankspower/ and if you are going to have a lot of hp i would suggest splayed main caps if it's a 2 bolt main block and i would stud and a gidle on the bottom end and you may be able to get a set of AFR heads that will out flow the heads on the car now for what you can get the others ported and polished and 3 angle valve job as far as price goes and the AFR heads like i said will out flow most cast heads

Old 01-27-2007, 02:43 AM

Are you interested in selling the heater/ac box, etc.? Just thought I'd ask. If so, could you e-mail me pictures of it with a price?

Thanks

Old 01-27-2007, 02:29 PM

ORIGINAL: RITTER

Well, I purchased an '84 Monte Carlo knowing that it had some problems. For $400 I got the car an unknown 350 engine (#3970010) edelbrok Performer RPM intake, Edelbrok 650cfm 4bbl and ACCEL Super HEI COIL are the only real mods. It is equipped with a TH350 trans and the stock LS 2.41 gears.
I started tearing it apart and noticed a ****-ton of wiring not correct and then I pulled the intake off [sm=smiley5.gif] HOLY **** is that messy or what! I decided that I am going to take the engine to the machine shop and have the works done on it (bore, hone, freeze plugs, cam bearings, main bearing, piston rings, rod bolts etc...) From what I can read for the head casting numbers they appear to be 74-76cc heads. So I was thinking to getting them milled, ported and polished also with a 3^ valve job.

I'll post some pictures tomorrow of the mess under the hood!

Let me know any input you guys have or any advice, thanks ya'll!
Wow bro, sounds like you pretty much have it figured out. Post up some pics when you get a chance

Old 01-27-2007, 05:33 PM

one thing i would say for the wires is if you plan to keep this car and restore it spend the cash and get a wire harness. it is well worth the headache to know that you have a good wire system under the hood and the dash of the car.
just makes semce if your spending a bunch of cash for a car.

Also if you go three the motor to that point look in to a tranny rebuild .

good luck and please keep us posted. you can also start a cardomaine site and do a log on there. it is great way to keep track of yoru project. and it is free! alsways a good thing

Old 06-09-2013, 02:09 PM

Hi guys new to the forum. I'm doing my 87 MCSS project car and pulling motor and trans for paint job this year. I'm looking at engine machine shops in my area (Chicago,il) and wanted to know what to ask or look for in a shop or know of any.

Appreciate any help you can offer. Props to your project car!