Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Project Monte Carlo in progress

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2005, 03:50 PM
Default Project Monte Carlo in progress

Well, I purchased an '84 Monte Carlo knowing that it had some problems. For $400 I got the car an unknown 350 engine (#3970010) edelbrok Performer RPM intake, Edelbrok 650cfm 4bbl and ACCEL Super HEI COIL are the only real mods. It is equipped with a TH350 trans and the stock LS 2.41 gears.
I started tearing it apart and noticed a ****-ton of wiring not correct and then I pulled the intake off [sm=smiley5.gif] HOLY **** is that messy or what! I decided that I am going to take the engine to the machine shop and have the works done on it (bore, hone, freeze plugs, cam bearings, main bearing, piston rings, rod bolts etc...) From what I can read for the head casting numbers they appear to be 74-76cc heads. So I was thinking to getting them milled, ported and polished also with a 3^ valve job.

I'll post some pictures tomorrow of the mess under the hood!

Let me know any input you guys have or any advice, thanks ya'll!

Old 06-23-2005, 05:15 PM
Default RE: Project Monte Carlo in progress

Cool project.. I wish I had the time for one like the one your taking on.

What are your plans other than the motor rebuild?

TVW

Old 06-23-2005, 05:36 PM

man that just seals it LOL
I get back state side i will be hunting down another 78 but want the T Top car

my luck if i were to get a hard top it would be the one they stole LOL

enjoy it you are doing something that i tried and i can tell you dont give up the parts are out there but not always easy to find.

Old 06-23-2005, 10:03 PM

Alright, I have removed everything that I don't really need from under the hood like A/C (everything) heater blower motor and complete firewall box, radiator tank, windshield washer fluid container, various brackets. None of that stuff will be going back in, I'm getting an electric heater for the car. Ok, here are some pictures of what is done so far;

the first one will show you the entire engine bay with the gaping hole in the firewall from all the A/C and heater **** (my valve covers are sitting in it; the other two are just of the nasty gunk buildup in the engine! I will definately be getting new gears!

Old 06-23-2005, 11:25 PM

Man, that engine looks like it's seen some miles...

You have your work cut out for you that's for sure....

TVW

Old 06-23-2005, 11:52 PM

Yeah it is still a virgin block so it's a great foundation engine. But yeah, its definately seen some miles in its days.

Old 06-24-2005, 03:17 AM

Way to keep it old school! I'm glad that GM is brining back the V8 for the MC. That's what Super Sport is all about!!

Old 06-24-2005, 10:52 AM

ORIGINAL: Bigg J

Way to keep it old school! I'm glad that GM is brining back the V8 for the MC. That's what Super Sport is all about!!
Now if they would just make it RWD it would be even better.....

That being said, the V8 FWD is still pushing quite a few ponies and should be quite respectable @ 303BHP.. The thing I am not overly excited with the changes made to the body design. It would be awesome to see the Monte go to a RWD platform and power equal to the GTO. I'd buy one today as long as the price tag stays in the GTO range.

TVW

Old 06-24-2005, 01:58 PM

I'm going complete old school with this Monte! I want to find an electric heater for the winter though. I've seen the mojave heaters in SummitRacing but they still heat from engine coolant.

Old 06-24-2005, 03:38 PM

has anyone seen performance numbers for the new V8 FWD?

Quick Reply: Project Monte Carlo in progress