Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Power window switch reoccuring problem.

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 07:59 PM
Talking Power window switch reoccuring problem.

First off, I wanted to say hi to everyone since this is my first post on the forums. I am usually on the corvette forums trying to fix stuff on my car, so this was an automatic go to since I'm having problems with my mothers 2001 monte carlo ss.

Problem 1: drivers side window goes down fine, won't go up. will go up about 1/2 an inch with each push of the button, making you tap the switch like a wood pecker to get the thing all the way up. passenger side worked fine.

Solved 1: Ordered a new window switch. replaced it and all the window worked find after that. I did noticed that the auto down function didn't work though.

Problem 2: all is good for about a week then mom calls saying that the window stopped working all together on the drivers side, passenger side works fine. followed with an electrical smell.

Solve 2: ? not sure, was thinking about just having chevy dealer look at it. i threw the old one away, so i can't hook it up to see if the new switch went up in flames or if it's a bad connection.

I researched the forums and internet and it seems to be a very popular problem. the only "fix" that I got was that to replace the switch with an actual 60 dollar gm switch instead of the 35 dollar oem one I got. But I'm thinking that there is more to this problem than just a bad switch. Was curious if anyone has had this problem, and fixed it. If you fixed it what seemed to be the problem. any help would be appreciated.

Old 01-15-2010, 12:45 AM

so nobody's had this problem?

Old 01-15-2010, 12:53 AM

I would check the fuse/relay first, then the switch connector to make sure it isn't dirty or a prong isn't breaking/loose. Usually the switch it's self gets dirty from water falling on it but since you replaced it I'd would check the connector first and then the motor. For the motor get some jumpers and apply current directly to it, if it works then look for the ground cable and make sure it's metal to metal and not lose. Good luck with it!

Old 01-18-2010, 04:25 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2009
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

i know that on the 5th gen cars the window track and mechinisem can get dirty and rusty, which causes the window to kinda bind up in the track and go up inproperly. i know it puts quite a bit of strain on the swich & relays because it's trying to force the window up. IDK what the fix for the swich / relay is, but to prevent it from happening its a good idea to remove both doorpanels and soak the window mechinisem with a good spray lube like PB Blaster. i try to do this yearly, but it probibly does not need to be done that often.

Old 01-19-2010, 01:05 AM

Sounds like the relay is a bit dodgy. You coukd probably get the lid off it and clean up the connections inside.

Old 01-19-2010, 04:15 PM

well I told my mother I didn't want to simply go to chevy and put another new switch in before I trouble shoot it a bit. She kept asking me about it so I told her that maybe she should take it to someone if it's a rush...so she did that.

They said....the switch was bad so the replace it...only cost like 170 bucks. I'm being sarcastic as you know since I COULD HAVE ****ING DONE THAT! Whatever...

told her that if it does it again that it's under warranty...and that if the window seems to slow down at all for any reason, stop hitting the button, give it a minute and see if it goes up normal then. The idea like someone else suggested is that the window motor may be bogging up and burning up the switch.

But the problem is.the window never did bog down..window worked fine, the switch was just working fine then stop.

Old 01-19-2010, 07:08 PM

Once, on my 5th gen, I left the driver's side window open and the skies decided to open up. The switch wouldn't work until I took it out and cleaned/dryed it. Mosquitoes ate me alive that night.

Old 01-30-2010, 10:52 AM
Angry 2002 Drivers side window switch problems

First off I would like to thank you all for this forum. The window switch on my wifes 02 was wore out on the up, but worked fine on the down. I finally went to AUtozone and got a new switch(interuptor) and installed it, worked fine for about 5 days and the down quit. I took the switch back to the ZONE got another one and installed it, it worked for three days and the same thing the down quit. So I got the GM FACTORY REPLACEMENT PART from the local GM dealer ( by the way the bag that it came in said made in Taiwan) installed it and it worked for a day and the down quit again. I am at my wits end and dont know what to do, somebody please help. The thing that has me puzzled is that the down worked fine on the original,, it was the up that was worn out, now the down keeps going out on the new switches.

Old 01-30-2010, 02:00 PM

You may want to check the express down module. It may be malfunctioning.

Old 01-31-2010, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by ALI2002
First off I would like to thank you all for this forum. The window switch on my wifes 02 was wore out on the up, but worked fine on the down. I finally went to AUtozone and got a new switch(interuptor) and installed it, worked fine for about 5 days and the down quit. I took the switch back to the ZONE got another one and installed it, it worked for three days and the same thing the down quit. So I got the GM FACTORY REPLACEMENT PART from the local GM dealer ( by the way the bag that it came in said made in Taiwan) installed it and it worked for a day and the down quit again. I am at my wits end and dont know what to do, somebody please help. The thing that has me puzzled is that the down worked fine on the original,, it was the up that was worn out, now the down keeps going out on the new switches.

Well Ali2002 as you can see from my last post the car we have was taken to an electrical shop and they simply replaced the switch with a gm part. It's been two weeks and working fine....THOUGH i will note that they auto down still does not work as the original did. Since this has been your 3rd 4th time replacing the switch, you might want to consider doing the same. The shop ensured me that if it goes out, they will replace it for free if it messes up again.

From all the internet searching I did, this seems to be a very very common problem with these Monty's. Yet I had found no definitive answer for a fix. The only thing that seemed to be of any good to anyone was when individuals replaced the switch with the significantly more expensive, GM switch.

Last edited by zwaldo; 01-31-2010 at 12:01 PM.

Quick Reply: Power window switch reoccuring problem.