Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Power steering problems

Old 01-10-2015, 10:09 PM
1 Year Member
Default Power steering problems

This happened Thursday. I cranked my car, and it leaked fluid everywhere. I took it to the shop and picked it up in the afternoon and it ran perfect. The next day it ran just as good, but it was not as good steering as the day before, but it still turned very easy. Today i went to drive it and as soon as i left the steering got really stiff so i took it back and it was dripping fluid everywhere. It got on all the parts underneath my car. I want to know if the fluid being on the bottom of my car will damage it. I also want to know how i can drive it back to my house (about 50 miles from where im at).

Old 01-10-2015, 10:22 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

The fluid underneath is not much of a bother, other then it does make a mess. My only concern is how much is on the exhaust, I'm not sure how flammable PS fluid is.

Any tricks I have to get a car home in the state you mentioned with minimal potential further damage, i do not recommend having to drive 50 miles on, it's too dangerous.

Any idea where it's leaking?? Loose line or something?

Old 01-11-2015, 08:04 AM
1 Year Member

I'm not sure. If i can figure out a way to stop the leak at least until i get home then i will be happy. Ill drop it off at the shop again but i just need it home today and i cant get it towed...

Old 01-11-2015, 09:10 AM

did you get the recall on the power steering lines fixed. the same thing happened to me and the dealer fixed it for free. is your monte a 7th gen? if so there is a recall on the ps lines

Old 01-11-2015, 10:07 AM

Hi Red Monte,

I wouldn't drive it & take the chance.
Check out the below (Good Luck)
Fire Danger
  • If power steering fluid leaks, you have a fire hazard. If the leak drips or sprays onto a hot engine part, there is a chance a fire will start. The flash point is between 340 and 392 degrees Fahrenheit. Though the fluid will burn, it won't ignite easily. It will release toxic vapors that, when heated above their flash point, will ignite. A mist or spray of power steering fluid can even ignite below the flash point.

Read more : Can a Power Steering Fluid Leak Cause a Fire? | eHow

Old 01-11-2015, 12:29 PM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by monte07
did you get the recall on the power steering lines fixed. the same thing happened to me and the dealer fixed it for free. is your monte a 7th gen? if so there is a recall on the ps lines
When did they have this recall? I got the car about 6 months ago so if it was before then, then it might need to be done. What would i have to do? I havent got a letter about this recall.