Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Opinion Needed: Possibly Overheating ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2018, 03:46 PM
1 Year Member
Default Possibly Overheating ?

Hey everyone. Bought my 05 Monte SS Supercharged back in October. Never really had problems with it. However it's starting to warm up around where I live and I've noticed the guage starting to go up a little every so often. Usually when accelerating hard (Ie on ramp before lots of airflow) and sometimes sitting in traffic. However it doesn't always do it, sometimes the fans will kick in at 212°, and sometimes it seems like it doesn't kick in until 220°. Coolant level is fine. Could the thermostat be getting stuck? Anyone else have similar issues? Thanks!

Old 04-26-2018, 07:54 PM

Well, im not sure about whats causing it.. I guess yea, the tstat could be stuck or sticking actually..

What I do wanna say is be careful getting up around 220.. I think thats the point where you start worrying..

What are you using to measure the temp? The gauges in our cars are known to go bad because of the stepper motor they decided to use to run them..

Old 04-26-2018, 07:59 PM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by wht02monte
Well, im not sure about whats causing it.. I guess yea, the tstat could be stuck or sticking actually..

What I do wanna say is be careful getting up around 220.. I think thats the point where you start worrying..

What are you using to measure the temp? The gauges in our cars are known to go bad because of the stepper motor they decided to use to run them..
Just using my guages. It's only done it a few times while driving. Haven't had a time to take a laser thermometer to it during when it happens.
However I didn't know that about our cars. It's at around 103k miles, maybe the guages are off? Good way to check?

Old 04-27-2018, 08:12 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by TheKnight41
However it doesn't always do it, sometimes the fans will kick in at 212°, and sometimes it seems like it doesn't kick in until 220°. Coolant level is fine. Could the thermostat be getting stuck? Anyone else have similar issues? Thanks!
Yes, the fans should kick on at 212. I don't think your thermostat is sticking, they usually fail open. What is most likely the cause, is just that your coolant is gunked up. Do you know the last time it was flushed? The majority of people never even touch the coolant unless there is an issue, but it really should be flushed every 3-5 years.

I would wager a guess to say that the coolant is nasty, and your water pump might not be running efficiently.

Old 04-27-2018, 08:15 AM

The cooling fans usually won't come on until about 225 degree's unless someone has tuned the computer. Should obviously be running cooler while you are driving probably around 200 degree's concidering you have a 195 t stat in the engine. Possibility of a bad thermostat or maybe a plugged radiator if the coolant hasn't been changed or flushed in a long time. Both are routine repair's also cheap and easy to do. Another thing you can try is to rinse the radiator and AC condenser fins with a garden hose. Might have excess debris blocking air flow. Good Luck

Old 04-27-2018, 08:16 AM
1 Year Member

The majority of people never even touch the coolant unless there is an issue, but it really should be flushed every 3-5 years.[/QUOTE]

Probably not. I'll take a look at it this weekend; check the coolant for gunk, do an idle test to see when the fans kick in, and use my laser thermometer to verify (idk how accurate it'll be).

Old 04-27-2018, 09:02 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Jeffs02rwdSS
The cooling fans usually won't come on until about 225 degree's unless someone has tuned the computer.
First stage should come on at 212, full power at 226 (or if the AC is on).

Old 05-03-2018, 11:35 AM

Sounds like normal for the stock fan turn on temps. If your worried about it put in a 180 degree thermostat and get a tuned pcm most of them turn the fans on a little above 180 degrees.