Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): Possible ECM problem?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2014, 07:43 AM
Default Possible ECM problem?

I have a 2001 SS, that I truly enjoy. As I was going to work, one morning, I noticed that, when I was accelerating, as I reached around 40-45 mph, I began to lose power (almost like the transmission didn't want to shift up, which was my first thought) and there were the usual sputtering, backfiring, etc., that comes with a misfire. I carry a code reader in my car and hooked it up while driving. I was getting multiple misfire codes, on the 3rd and 4th cylinders. As a result, I changed the plugs and wires and the two corresponding ignition coils to numbers 3 and 4. I replaced the plugs and wires one at a time, to avoid problems with putting the wrong wire on the wrong coil, so I know I'm good there. The problem still persisted and as an added bonus, I got bad egr codes and misfires on the other cylinders as well. I then replaced the egr....still the problem persists. I've been told by two different mechanic friends that it may be that my ECM is bad. I know that if I were to get a new ECM, it would need to be programmed to my car, the questions that I have are: Are the ECM and PCM the same thing? ( I've heard it called both); I've seen, online, that ECMs are sold that, if I give my VIN number, when I order, the ECM that I buy can be programmed to conform to my vehicle, is that true? Before I shell out the money, I'd just like to know if it's really what I need to do. Thanks to you guys out there in Monte Carlo-land.

Old 11-29-2014, 10:24 AM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Does it smell like rotton eggs? Could be your cat is clogged up. But you can get a PCM from a vendor like ZZP or Overkill for a decent price, and you'll get some gains from it.

Old 11-30-2014, 08:37 AM

No, there is no rotten egg smell. I don't have any modifications on my Monte, if I were to, to would probably get a CAI, but can I use a performance ECM, when I do replace it?

Old 11-30-2014, 11:33 AM
15 Year Member

Yeah, you can use a tuned PCM if you want to.

Old 12-06-2014, 07:28 AM

Ok, I got a ZZP PCM....I know how to install it and such, but, my question is now, can (or should) I use electronics cleaner and then dielectric grease on the plug ins? Or is that one of those things that I shouldn't do that to? Also, after I install it, is there anything that I should expect, I know that I may have to do the re-learn procedure (but, I've heard that I may not have to), but is there possibly anything else? I'm worried I may have to get the radio reprogrammed.

Old 12-06-2014, 10:00 PM
15 Year Member

Not sure on the radio, you MAY need to do a relearn. I've never put any grease or anything on the PCM plugs, and haven't had a problem to date.

Old 12-06-2014, 11:37 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2015
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

You may also have to get the crank position sensor set (I believe that is what it is called) I know when I stopped by Will's house and he did my pcm he had to reset it. Any dealer can do it for you, I am just not sure with the ZZP as mine was from Overkill

You shouldn't have to get the radio reprogrammed as I didn't with mine

You will be happy with how the car will perform now with the new pcm, it livens it up a lot