Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

plz help my car still stalls after new maf and gm cant fix it

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 03:33 PM
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default plz help my car still stalls after new maf and gm cant fix it

hello
please help me, my car has 200,000 kms has a new alternator, crank sensor with crank relearn, new ac delco maf, new bcm mod, new fuel filter plugs wires all that tune up stuff and a new temp sensor. I am out of ideas I just spent $1600 at gm and they cant figure out the problem. Ok here is the problem when I drive my car in the morning after about 5 min of driving it will stall with a maf performance code showing up on my code reader, it will not start until I clear the maf code. When the car is at idle and I disconnect the maf the car will shut off right away, this is new it has never done that before I dont know what to do I need help I have no more ideas. the wires by the ac are fine, gm replaced the maf plug and it still stalls when I drive it. thanks for reading. Also my car had a misfire on cylinder #6 for about 5 min now its fine weirdness is happening.

Old 01-20-2012, 05:25 PM

I feel your pain. My MAF is giving me problems too. That and the gauges and coolant leak and............ I'm about ready to sell mine.

What does it do when you wiggle the MAF connector? Mine hesitates when you touch it, but runs fine otherwise. It has to be a loose connector for me.

Did they replace just the connector or that whole wire harness? It doesn't look like you can take it apart without destroying it. I'm gonna stop by the junkyard and cut off one with a good length of wire to splice it on.

Old 01-20-2012, 06:42 PM

Are their any other codes coming on? Maybe its the fuel regulator?

Old 01-20-2012, 06:49 PM

hey
they replaced the maf wiring harness, and I put in a used fuel pressure regulator on it about 5 months ago, the only code that comes up is maf performance about 5 min after driving it when it is cold then the car shuts off

Old 01-20-2012, 07:44 PM

its posible it could be an o2 sensor your car uses that to second check the maf, or the map sensor it uses that as well, and check for vacum leaks any vacum leak would throw the maf reading off and set your code. any aftermarkit air filter like a k&N an over oiled k&n could dirty up the maf sensor. it could be alot of things your car has sensors then sensors to check those sensors.

Old 01-21-2012, 07:35 AM

I have a Bosch o2 sensor in my car it was installed about 2 months ago also it's just a regular air filter it's p0101 that keeps showing

Old 01-21-2012, 11:58 AM

Sometimes when a parts store looks up a part like the O2 sensor they mess up and send a post cat when you need a pre cat O2. Using a post cat O2 sensor in the pre cat sensor location can do that. And sometimes not throw a code because it thinks it's an engine problem not the sensor. That's why you will get MAF codes. You need to find a scan tool to check the MAF reading for the grams/second and the long term fuel trim and finally the pre cat O2 for rapid switching after its been running long enough to start stalling. The Bosch O2 is what I would put my money on if it's the one in the manifold you replaced.

Old 01-21-2012, 02:40 PM

I think I will switch my o2 back the original one that is still laying around in the garage.

Old 01-21-2012, 11:54 PM

hey I dunno if you wanna try, but try to direct ground the ground wire from the maf connector. like tap the black line and have the ground still coming from the harness but also grounding it somewhere else, if you wanna try this out first before the o2 thing don't work. but this way if you are lucky and it is just the ground, it would be easier than rerunning all three wires to the maf plug

Old 01-22-2012, 09:59 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

A P0101 code indicates a problem with the MAF circuit, range or performance. Even though GM checked it out, I would check the voltage supply to the MAF sensor. Unplug the connector from the sensor and connect the positive probe of a voltmeter to the pink wire, and the negative probe to the black/white wire in the connector. With the key on (engine not running) you should see approx. 12 volts. If you don't see approx. 12 volts check the wiring from the connector to the power distribution center and your engine ground. If you do see appox. 12 volts you will need a scan tool to read the MAF sensor output. It should be approx. 4 to 6 grams per second at idle. As you accelerate the value should quickly rise and remain steady with a steady engine idle at various rpm. If it doesn't fall within these specs then the sensor is defective. Some aftermarket parts don't operate within the specified range of the OE parts, so it may be that the sensor is out of spec and needs to be replaced with an AC Delco unit, but test the circuit first to insure that's not where the problem is.

Quick Reply: plz help my car still stalls after new maf and gm cant fix it