Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

plug wires

Old 09-13-2017, 06:59 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default plug wires

ok confused guys..(04 monte carlo ss supercharged v6 3.8..my car.) 2 questions..first question..has anyone changed the plug wires and got a misfire afterwards? I changed the wires and my number 6 had several misfires so i changed the wire back without the aluminum heat shield and cant believe it ran fine..no misfires or bogging out. I need that shield or my wire will melt like the other i replaced for that reason...any suggestions? ok this 2nd one baffles me. So i checked the diagram for the coils and went by the vin number and the 8th number/letter which mine was number 1 but when i ran the wires my car didnt start..and when i did get it to start it was bogging out and misfiring big time so my mechanic told me he never seen coils on the 3.8 wired like that so we ran them under the vin letter K instead of 1 and wow it ran like a charm with not 1 issue...what gives? anyone heard of this....i will post both diagrams...super confused. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 09-13-2017, 07:53 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Seems to me the new wire has a break in it and the spark jumps to the close by shield. When the shield is removed, the break is now far enough away it cannot make the leap to the now distant metal.

The coil packs I'm not sure what your reading with your VIN is accurate. Have you checked additional diagrams with your vin number, 1st one faulty?

Last edited by ZIPPY02; 09-13-2017 at 07:56 PM.
Old 09-13-2017, 11:53 PM
5 Year Member
Default wires

Originally Posted by ZIPPY02
Seems to me the new wire has a break in it and the spark jumps to the close by shield. When the shield is removed, the break is now far enough away it cannot make the leap to the now distant metal.

The coil packs I'm not sure what your reading with your VIN is accurate. Have you checked additional diagrams with your vin number, 1st one faulty?
the 8th number on the vin indicates engine size,type and model my mech told me that's all you need

Old 09-13-2017, 11:56 PM
5 Year Member

we actually found out the problem...spark plug had a tiny crack in it..we started the car and seen spark....thanks ZIPPY02

Search this Thread