Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

The plot thickens

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 10:31 PM
Default The plot thickens

Well....on my way to work I stopped for coffee and another Monte owner pulled in. I decided to wait for him to come out of the store to ask him about his car. He is having the same exact transmission issue that I am having. Funny thing is is that when I went to lunch the car started to hesitate as if it were running out of fuel. On the way home tonight I almost could'nt drive it and it surges from having no power to suddenly seeming fine until it feels like there's a tranny problem again. Back to the garage in the morning so they can drive it and try to figure out what the %!x##&*** is going on with the damn thing. I'll post what they find.

Old 10-12-2006, 11:14 PM
Default RE: The plot thickens

Sounds like how my car was when my cat was plugged... GM has a special policy on it (not sure what year your car is though).

Old 10-13-2006, 04:27 AM

was just going to say have you checked the cat?

they will cause loss of power,reving funny, surging, stalling , ruff idel etc... just a thought but ya might find out if this is the issue

Old 10-13-2006, 07:41 AM

Funny you guys should mention that, while driving home I thought I may have finally started to go deaf from all of the loud music and was thinking that my exaust had gotten quieter as well....you may have hit the nail on the head. I'll find out this morning I hope....post anything we find tonight after work.

Old 10-13-2006, 08:38 AM

If it's the cat, take it to the dealer. GM has an extended warranty they call a "special policy" on it. Cats are warranty for 8 years, 80,000 miles to begin with, but I think it was extended to 100k. I'll have to find my letter and let you know for sure.

Old 10-13-2006, 03:48 PM

just had my cat replaced..............

Document ID# 1703629
2001 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Subject: Special Policy Adjustment - Catalytic Converter #05551 - (09/14/2005)

Models: 2001-02 CHEVROLET IMPALA, MONTE CARLO

2001-02 PONTIAC GRAND PRIX

2001-02 BUICK REGAL

EQUIPPED WITH 3.4L (RPO LA1 - VIN E) OR 3.8L (RPO L36 - VIN K) V6 ENGINE

Old 10-13-2006, 09:16 PM

Well...you were right...it was the cat. I had a temporary fix done to it....can't say what was done of course. The car runs like it did when it was new! Thanks for all the info guys!

Old 10-13-2006, 10:11 PM

ORIGINAL: Backinblack

Well...you were right...it was the cat.
Every now and then someone actually knows what they're talking about, unlike me

Glad your car is back to normal, it sucks when it's not, almost the same feeling you get when your child is suffering and there's nothing you can do about it.

Old 10-13-2006, 11:17 PM

The cool thing is that it is better than what normal had become lately. I think it started to go a while back as I remember thinking it just was'nt as peppy and it must be getting tired. It's like a whole new car now! Today turned out to be a lucky day for me after listening to people grumbling about it being Friday the 13th...lol. Maybe I'll win the lottery tonight and by that turbo setup after all. thanks again for all of the advice everyone!!