Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): Please help throttle cable stuck!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2012, 05:47 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Please help throttle cable stuck!!!

Hello people, i have an 01 monte ss and my gas pedal is stuck to the floor, when i go under the hood i can move the throttle normally but i cant close it by hand because its tough, the one cable moves normally but the one that connects to the pedal wont budge. How can i fix this??? Or what would be the price range to have this fixed???

Old 12-15-2012, 09:32 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

Are you sure it's the cable to the gas pedal and not the cable to the cruise control module? If it's the cruise module, short term answer is disconnect it until you can replace a failed module.

To my knowledge these are simply steel cables inside a plastic type sheathing. I would trace them out, look for kinks, sharp bends or damage to the cable. Get under the dash board and see is something fell down and has obstructed the gas pedal from normal operation.
Also, there is a spring on the throttle body, make sure that is not damaged. To be honest, thinking about this, that spring might be the issue. It would take no effort to to have the gas pedal go down to the floor, but without the tension assist of the throttle body spring, raising the gas pedal back up by hand via the cable could be a pain. If it is the spring, I would hit the salvage yard, either buy a whole new throttle body or just the spring.

Hope that helps.

Old 12-16-2012, 06:43 AM
10 Year Member

Yea im sure, one cable goes to a electronic box and it moves normally, the other cable is stuck, I can move the trottle by hand normally but when I try to open the throttle by cable to the pedal it wont budge, so I think it is the cable, how would I fix this or how much might it cost to get fixed?

Old 12-16-2012, 09:36 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012

If the cable isn't physically damaged remove it from the vehicle, hang it up somewhere vertically then spray a bunch of penetrating oil into the end of it. Allow it enough time for the spray to work into the cable, then slide the cable back and forth inside the casing until it moves freely. Put the cable back on the car. If the cable is damaged or still won't move freely you'll need to replace it.

Old 12-16-2012, 03:42 PM
10 Year Member

hey, thanks guys for the information, but my silly self was putting on the cold air intake and when i put the support bar back on it was pinching part of the cable which didnt allow me to move the gas pedal, it was dark out when this happened thats why i didnt see it. but i fixed it this morning thanks again guys

Old 12-16-2012, 04:11 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Thats good!
Did you ever get that wild noise figured out????

Old 12-16-2012, 04:27 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

LOL.... Yep, a small little mishap creates a little complication....

Old 12-16-2012, 07:10 PM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by STUMPMI
Thats good!
Did you ever get that wild noise figured out????

yea i did actually fix that. what i did was remove the metal plate that was attached to the right fan blade because that sounded like the source and found alot of leaves and junk, cleaned it out and havent heard the noise since. i still dont know why it seems like my radiator hoses have no pressure tho.

Old 01-05-2017, 09:44 AM
Default Help! Starting but won't stay running!

I have a 2000 as, and after doing some research I've come to the conclusion that my problem is the throttle body, or somewhat close to it. There are two little pipe looking things stemming off and to the left, the right one has what looks like smoke coming out of it when I try to start my car, can anyone help me out here please? I'm no professional I'm still learning, just trying to save money doing the jobs myself.

Old 01-05-2017, 10:55 AM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by Auroradawnnnn
I have a 2000 as, and after doing some research I've come to the conclusion that my problem is the throttle body, or somewhat close to it. There are two little pipe looking things stemming off and to the left, the right one has what looks like smoke coming out of it when I try to start my car, can anyone help me out here please? I'm no professional I'm still learning, just trying to save money doing the jobs myself.
Hey Dawn, first I suggest starting a new thread about this problem so as to give it more direct attension and not muddle up the existing post.
It sounds like you might be talking about the vacuum tee at the back of the upper intake manifild, but not sure. A picture would help a lot.

Quick Reply: 6th Gen ('00-'05): Please help throttle cable stuck!!!