Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Please help me with this radiator

Old 07-01-2012, 10:39 PM
Default Please help me with this radiator

I have a 2005 Monte Carlo SS supercharged with the 3800 series. The problem I'm having is I just did a radiator flush then stuck a cleaner in it for 3 day's, because when I had opened up the radiator cap before I did all of this I found this brown oily thick sludge in it. I just figured that at some point some one had put some type of sealent in it. So I got everything to finally flow out clear, I then went to put water in it just to let it run at normal temp for about 10min but as i was I noticed that the radiator just would not stay full. I looked under the car and noticed that it was leaking so I thought I just hadn't tighten the drain plug all the way. I went under the car and seen that it was coming from this round hole that is on the very bottom and there is another one in the same place on the passanger side of the radiator. I have no clue what these are or how to fix this problem. Can ANYONE out there help me out please and thank you.

Old 07-01-2012, 11:00 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Sounds like you need a new radiatoR?

Old 07-01-2012, 11:12 PM

Monte Of The Month -- May 2013
1 Year Member

JERRY....Take the radiator out of the car and go have it tested. Then you'll know for sure whats wrong. OR.. Just go buy a NEW one and be over with that problem.

Old 07-01-2012, 11:19 PM

ok so no one knows what the two drains are on the very bottom of the radiator are?

Old 07-01-2012, 11:26 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

When you open the drain **** on the radiator, those holes allow any fluid on that rail drain off (so it does not just sit there).

If you were not leaking fluid prior to this, either:
- the drain **** is still open
- you damaged the drain **** by over tightening
- you damaged the radiator from over tightening

Sometimes you can get lucky and that drain **** is replaceable (the one on my wife's '01 Mustang broke because the plastic was brittle, Dorman had my fix in the Help! isle of the parts store).

Try looking at the drain **** with a mirror.

As for fluid coming from those holes, you just need to look where it's coming from. What part of the radiator (when starting dry) is wet. Again, those holes just prevent fluids from collecting and pooling on that rail, nothing more.

FYI - The car came from the factory with Dex cool in it. If Dex is not flushed regularly, it will begin to look thick maybe oily. Some switch over to green coolant, either way you MUST STILL flush regularly!! If you don't the properties of what ever coolant you choose to use will break down and corrosion might take place. Remember, the coolant is ALSO a lubricant to things like your water pump!

Old 07-01-2012, 11:31 PM

ok i'll take a closer look at the petcock thx

Old 07-01-2012, 11:50 PM

ok so I checked the petcock and it is not leaking at all "completly dry" I see the holes that would be the drain for the rail. However this "hole" I don't know what else to call it, and is on either side of the radiator the one that is leaking is right in line of the petcock just at the bottom of the radiator and is attached to the radiator. I guess I'll have to take a photo of it so that maybe someone will have a better idea of what I'm talking about.

Old 07-01-2012, 11:52 PM

oh and I only tighten my petcock's by hand and I was able to undo it by hand so over tighting is'nt the problem.

Old 07-02-2012, 12:05 AM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Welcome to the site. Pics might help so post them as soon as possible

Old 07-02-2012, 03:20 AM

Transerred Post below from Duplicate Thread:

<TABLE id=post473683 class=tborder border=0 cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center><TBODY><TR><TD class=thead> Today, 12:27 AM <!-- / status icon and date -->
</TD></TR><TR><TD style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-TOP: 0px" class=alt2><!-- user info --><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=6 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2></TD><TD noWrap>The_Maniac <SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_473683", true); </SCRIPT>

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
2004 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

</TD><TD width="100%"></TD><TD vAlign=top noWrap>Join Date: Apr 2010

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- / user info --></TD></TR><TR><TD id=td_post_473683 class=alt1><!-- message, attachments, sig --><!-- icon and title -->
<HR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000; COLOR: #000000" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->Please, no need for duplicate postings. This creates confusion.
Anyone wishing to reply, please jump to this thread:
Please help me with this radiator

@Moderators - Can someone lock or delete this thread?
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->__________________
For more info about me and my cars, check out my websites below:
- 1984 Camaro Z28 5.0 Liter HO Restore Project/Big Toy
- 2004 Monte Carlo SS 3800 N/A See website for MOD List
- 1994 Grand Am SE 3100 v6 Current daily with over 200,000 miles
<!-- / sig -->

<!-- controls -->
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Please help me with this radiator