Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Please Help...

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 08:59 PM
Unhappy Please Help...

I can be setting in my car, for less than 5 mins, and the temp gauge goes up. No leaks, smoke, nothing. I put antifreeze in the car like 20 mins ago, I check everything and it appears fine. I got in the car to go get dinner, and the temp gauge went up after about 6 mins; So i pushed the petal a lil more and the gauge went down tremendiously, the weird thing is that my heat wasnt hot, but when i gave it gas, it proceeded to get warmer. Lack of antifreeze??? It didnt smell sweet in the car or anything, Im thinking my true antifreeze level is low? All inquires are appriciated!

Old 02-06-2012, 09:19 PM

bump.

Old 02-06-2012, 09:35 PM

Its really hard to understand that paragraph. So.. is you coolant level good or not? Just check it quick

Old 02-06-2012, 09:42 PM

I didnt have the car running, and i could see the antifreeze, but where the plastic res. is it keeps saying low coolent, considering the sensor is in that, i put some in it, got going down the road and the light came right back on, until i turned, braked, for it to splash the sensor.

Old 02-06-2012, 09:51 PM

Don't you have a radiator cap you can take off and look in the radiator? Also how warm does it get? in the red?

Old 02-07-2012, 07:17 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

The gauge rising and no heat for the first few minutes after starting the car is perfectly normal. The coolant needs to get to a certain temperature before the thermostat opens and allows the coolant to circulate. If your low coolant light keeps coming on it's a good possibilty you have air trapped in the system. Try opening the bleed screw and then filling with a mixture of antifreeze and water. Close the bleed screw and take the car for a drive then check the level again and top off if needed. If the level drops again you may have a leak somewhere that will need to be located and repaired.

Old 02-07-2012, 08:07 AM

but for it to rise to these levels and no heat when the car has been ran for 10 mins, until floored???

Old 02-07-2012, 08:13 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

You are getting air in the coolant system.

When the gauge starts going up, pop the hood and open the thermostat bleeder with a rag around it, see if that helps.

Then if it keeps overheating after that, you might have a bigger problem like I had with my 95 Lumina. Would overheat constantly, constantly I had to bleed air out of it. It was a bad headgasket.

Old 02-07-2012, 08:51 AM

It doesn't truely "overheat" it gets about 3/4's of the way to the red and stops. I just filled it with antifreeze and drove it around, i had the bleeder valve open when i put thte coolent in, like he said. I closed it and drove around my block/ till it was warm. My heat was cold when it was at running 3/4's up the temp scale, So i floored it and it drops the temp back to what it use to run, then the heat got warm. After, the first heat up, it stopped and my heat went back to being warm... I think i had air in my lines so, after this i will start it once again, add to the res. and open the bleeder to let the access air out. I think it may work. Lol, I may also need a radiator cap, hince the slight mist of smoke coming from around it.

Old 02-07-2012, 09:11 AM

How old is your thermostat ? It maybe sticking
A bad radiator cap can also cause problem's...Just a few things 2 check `out ~> Good Luck 4-Sure

Maybe you are playing your music 2 loud LOL..
I noticed that U R in2 music You should post your fav tunes in our Music thread !

Quick Reply: Please Help...