Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Platinum spark plugs losing pucks

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 12:14 PM
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Platinum spark plugs losing pucks

On my 02 3.4L, I'm going to replace the original plugs and wires. I'm going with Delphi wires. And I was planning on going with the 41-940 ACDelco spark plugs.

Over the years I've read of Corvette and Camaro owners talking about their AC Delco platinum spark plugs losing pucks. I guess they fall off. Just wondering if the AC Delco Platinum plugs for the 3.4L also have this problem?

Alot of the Corvette and Camaro owners go with NGK instead of AC Delco because of the Delcos losing pucks.

Old 11-02-2011, 12:52 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

A few years ago NGK was contracted to make the stock plugs for AC Delco.

I wouldn't switch from stock wires.

For the ignition system you should definitely just stick to the stock parts.

Old 11-09-2011, 01:22 AM

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
A few years ago NGK was contracted to make the stock plugs for AC Delco.

I wouldn't switch from stock wires.

For the ignition system you should definitely just stick to the stock parts.
The OEM wires say "Packard". And the Delphi wire set says "Delphi Packard". So, I'd say the Delphi are as close to stock wires as you can get. I think the AC/Delco wires are just an aftermarket wire set. As that is what they looked like when I tried some on my other car. But the Delphi plug wires look better made and they are USA.

I went with NGK spark plugs just because I've read of problems with the platinum pucks falling out on the AC/Delco plugs on other engines. With AC/Delco, you really don't know what you are getting anymore. As they shop for the lowest bidder all the time.

Old 11-09-2011, 05:53 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I've seen OEM wires on some GMs say "AC Delco" and I've seen some that read "Packard".

If you buy AC Delco branded parts, these parts are guaranteed OEM replacement, regardless of who GM may have sourced parts from for specific years (bottom line, you cannot go wrong with AC Delco parts). AC Delco branded parts meet GM's stock specs for the car.

I've used Delphi parts here and there with no problem (as you noted, GM sources a lot of stuff from time to time with the Delphi label on them).

As for spark plugs, I have never heard of issues with AC Delco plugs. I've insisted on using them on all my GMs (I've seen BOSCH plugs are crap first hand more then once, but I've used BOSCH wires with no problems). I recently put NGK plugs into our '05 Impala. We bought it with 150,000 miles on it, and it still had the original plugs in it (was running great). The plugs had AC Delco stamped on the ceramic, but on the metal was scribed NGK (confirming GM/AC Delco sourced parts from NGK at one point).

Old 11-09-2011, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
I've seen OEM wires on some GMs say "AC Delco" and I've seen some that read "Packard".

If you buy AC Delco branded parts, these parts are guaranteed OEM replacement, regardless of who GM may have sourced parts from for specific years (bottom line, you cannot go wrong with AC Delco parts). AC Delco branded parts meet GM's stock specs for the car.

I've used Delphi parts here and there with no problem (as you noted, GM sources a lot of stuff from time to time with the Delphi label on them).

As for spark plugs, I have never heard of issues with AC Delco plugs. I've insisted on using them on all my GMs (I've seen BOSCH plugs are crap first hand more then once, but I've used BOSCH wires with no problems). I recently put NGK plugs into our '05 Impala. We bought it with 150,000 miles on it, and it still had the original plugs in it (was running great). The plugs had AC Delco stamped on the ceramic, but on the metal was scribed NGK (confirming GM/AC Delco sourced parts from NGK at one point).
On another car I had, I had a problem with the straight boot pulling off on the AC/Delco wires. I got a Delphi wire set and didn't have any problems. The Delphi set looked more like an OEM set and the AC/Delco had looked like an aftermarket set. Like something from Autozone. The nice thing is that Dephi Packard set I got for the Monte have Made in the USA on them.

The Corvette and Camaro owners are the ones I've read over the years with regards to the AC/Delco platinum pucks coming up missing when they pulled the spark plugs. This was on factory plugs, as well as AC/Delco replacement plugs. So most of those guys recommend NGK as none had a problem with that on the NGK plugs.

On my other car, I had AC/Delco copper plugs in, but didn't like how the case would rust out. The NGK didn't have that problem on the copper plugs.

Old 11-09-2011, 11:42 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

When installing spark plug boots, if they don't have any die electric grease on the inside, it can make taking them off a bear. Also, it requires some twisting when removing them.
I know some newer cars have heat sheilds on the boots, this ALSO makes removing the boot a pain.

As for this "puck" issue. I have a bunch of friends running 3rd and 4th gen F-Bodies (mostly v8s) and a couple with late 90's Vettes (one if HEAVILY modified). All of them are running AC Delcos. So perhaps that puck problem is linked to one specific drive train?? Or there is more to the story about this puck problem.

Not saying the Delphi wires are a bad buy, I am certain they are fantastic. I am also a fan of "Made in America". I know I've used AC Delco wire packs on a few cars, they looked exactly like the factory ones I pulled off, I have never had a problem.

Old 11-09-2011, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
When installing spark plug boots, if they don't have any die electric grease on the inside, it can make taking them off a bear. Also, it requires some twisting when removing them.
I know some newer cars have heat sheilds on the boots, this ALSO makes removing the boot a pain.

As for this "puck" issue. I have a bunch of friends running 3rd and 4th gen F-Bodies (mostly v8s) and a couple with late 90's Vettes (one if HEAVILY modified). All of them are running AC Delcos. So perhaps that puck problem is linked to one specific drive train?? Or there is more to the story about this puck problem.

Not saying the Delphi wires are a bad buy, I am certain they are fantastic. I am also a fan of "Made in America". I know I've used AC Delco wire packs on a few cars, they looked exactly like the factory ones I pulled off, I have never had a problem.
I was referring to wires on a different car with regards to the straight boot coming off on the AC/Delco wires. To be fair, it happened on an aftermarket set as well. When trying to put the straight boot wire on the spark plug, the wire would hit the spark plug while the boot would keep going which the boot would try and come off the wire. Only car I had that happen to.

Are they all running AC/Delco platinum spark plugs and inspecting them on removal? The OEM plug for the 3rd gens is copper. The tip falling off is with regards to AC/Delco platinum plugs.

But here are a couple of links I quickly found about the pucks coming up missing on the AC/Delco platinum plugs:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...lug-pucks.html

F-Body.com CAMARO/FIREBIRD Forum - spark plugs AC delco 41-948

Old 11-09-2011, 09:31 PM

The factory plug wires on my 2004 Dale Jr said "Delphi" on the boots and I used Delphi replacement wires when I replaced them. I did use Delco plugs.

I've not been to impressed with AC-Delco replacement wires lately though. The last few sets I have bought for different vehicles had arcing problems when fairly new. I replaced them and got something different.

Wayne

Old 11-12-2011, 03:23 AM

Originally Posted by 70monte1
The factory plug wires on my 2004 Dale Jr said "Delphi" on the boots and I used Delphi replacement wires when I replaced them. I did use Delco plugs.

I've not been to impressed with AC-Delco replacement wires lately though. The last few sets I have bought for different vehicles had arcing problems when fairly new. I replaced them and got something different.

Wayne
I looked at my OEM wires again and noticed it says "Delphi" on the coil boot. So, I guess I did get OEM wire replacements.

Now I've just got to get some wire markers as the new Delphi wires don't have the numbers on them like the OEM wires. It just makes it easier when having to disconnect wires as you don't have to keep up with what is what.

Old 11-12-2011, 04:48 AM

^^My plug wires in all my vehicles have a piece of duct tape on them with the cylinder # it goes to. Looks tacky I know, but it's effective.

Quick Reply: Platinum spark plugs losing pucks