Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Permanent fix for moisture in tail lights?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 07:59 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Permanent fix for moisture in tail lights?

Anyone have any tips on how to eliminate moisture in the tail lights of my '03 Monte Carlo SS? I read that it was a problem with the bulbs sealing properly, so I aquired new washers from the dealer. Prior to installing them I dried out the housings with a hair dryer, then applied a thin coat of dielectric grease to both sides of the washers. The bulbs are a nice snug fit in the housings, so I don't think any moisture is getting past them. As I was preparing to reinstall the tail lights I wondered if perhaps the moisture was getting in at the seams around the edge of the housing, so I ran a bead of strip caulking around both housings. No sign of moisture for a couple of days so I thought I had the problem resolved, but now that the humidity is back up I noticed this morning that they have moisture in them again. I suppose I could drop the coin for a pair of aftermarket tail lights, but I'd like to retain the originals if at all possible. Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Old 05-11-2011, 12:22 PM

I had the same problem with mine,the drivers side was worse than the passengers side. I purchased a pair of brand new aftermarket copies off e bay for $150 a pair...installed them and after a week they also started to collect water inside the lens. I sent them back and purchased a nice pair of carbon fiber LED tail lights and have had them for 2 months with no issues but of course the LED lights have no outside plastic lens to worry about.

Old 05-11-2011, 12:39 PM

Wow, u already did both of the things I was gonna suggest: (

Old 05-12-2011, 01:00 PM

I'm sorry Milhouse.......didnt mean to make you sad!

Old 05-12-2011, 01:12 PM

Just Black them out a lil? You dont have to go all black if you dont like it.

Old 05-12-2011, 01:58 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

We put after market tail lights on my wife's '01 Mustang and almost IMMEDIATELY had moisture problems. I found the casting for the twist lock bulb housing were horrible, the fix for this was simple (and to this day is working fine).
1 - Go to the arts and crafts store. Buy a single sheet if that thin foam material (comes in 8.5x11).
2 - Remove one of the factory rubber/latex, whatever material washer/seal from the bulb socket.
3 - Use that seal as a template on the sheet you got from the craft store. Cut out a new ring for each bulb.
4 - Re-install the original factory washer you removed in step #2. Now add on top of that washer one of the rings you cut out from the foam sheet. Install one foam ring WITH the factory seal, re-install bulbs and tail lights.

Has been working GREAT!

Now, on the Mustang, the after market tail lights, yeah, they suck. No matter what I do, they get moisture in them. As a method to combat that, I found a low spot in the housing where the moisture pools up and drilled a tiny, unseen drain hole. It helps, but doesn't "fix" the problem.

Hopefully this info I did with the Mustang helps out others with similiar problems (as I'm sure many of the problems no matter the make of car are probably similiar causes).

Old 05-12-2011, 02:59 PM

Pretty sure this is because they cause a "greenhouse" effect with them being so large and all, mine do it, but don't notice any actual moisture collect in the bottom?? But I also have vent shades on them, so the problem isn't so pronounced as when I first got the Monte!

Mike

Old 05-13-2011, 01:39 PM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012

Originally Posted by Warhorse
Pretty sure this is because they cause a "greenhouse" effect with them being so large and all...
This makes sense...a difference between the outside temp and that inside the housing would definately produce condensation.

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
...I found a low spot in the housing where the moisture pools up and drilled a tiny, unseen drain hole. It helps, but doesn't "fix" the problem...
I just might try this and see if it helps. I'm not getting any pooling of water - just moisture clinging to the inside of the lense cover. A couple of holes in the bottom of the housing may help to equalize the temperature and help to reduce the condensation.

Thanks to both of you for the input.

Old 05-13-2011, 07:01 PM
Old 05-13-2011, 10:56 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

My headlights outer lens was actually separating from the housing body. So I removed the unit, cleaned the seam where the lense and housing come together. Next took a bar clamp with soft cloth covering the lense and compressed the lense almost all the way back to the housing. Then used "Liquid Nails: Clear Seal" 50 year rated and stays Crystal Clear", used the nozzle and applied a nice bead into the seam. Next I gently further compressed the bar clamp till the lense was seated. Tooled the sealant flat and let dry overnight. It's been almost 6 months now and no more moisture. Might not hurt to inspect your lense to see if it is separating from the housing body.

Quick Reply: Permanent fix for moisture in tail lights?