Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): pass inspection question

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2023, 01:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default pass inspection question

Help! I have a 2003 Monte Carlo SS, 3.8 L.V6. I need to get an inspection sticker, but my EVAP system momnitor and my Catalyst monitor won't pass. What do I need to do? I just had a major tune up, i.e. points plugs, etc. I need some advice. Thanks.

Old 05-23-2023, 01:33 PM

When you say the monitor won't pass - is it because the tests are showing incomplete (ie the car hasn't been driven enough since the pcm was manually reset last) or that they're actually failing (ie the pcm ran the test but it failed so it set a trouble code)?

If the latter, you'll need the codes pulled so we can work through the issues.

Unfortunately a tune up doesn't really help with either of the issues mentioned (and new cars don't have points to replace anyways). Neither of the two systems would be touched by that process besides perhaps the O2 sensors (depending what the shop actually includes in their 'major' tune up).

Lots of things to look for, but I'll hold off on speculating about the possible cause until we hear back on the first questions.

Old 05-24-2023, 11:38 AM
10 Year Member

Thank you so much for your reply. I believe it is because it hasn't been driven enough, but I can't be sure. You mentioned pulling the codes. How is this accomplished? Can I do it myself, or do I need to take it to the shop?

Old 05-24-2023, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by frankboni
Thank you so much for your reply. I believe it is because it hasn't been driven enough, but I can't be sure. You mentioned pulling the codes. How is this accomplished? Can I do it myself, or do I need to take it to the shop?
You mentioned its not driven enough - has the battery went dead or been disconnected recently? Its possible to have no codes but still fail emissions because the systems aren't all showing as ready. It needs a certain amount of driving/ cycles before all of the monitors can run their tests.

Is a check engine light on? If the above doesn't apply, I'd take it to an auto parts store and have them scan for codes. They'll do it for free at most as they want to sell you the parts to fix it (although you're under no obligation to buy anything).

Old 05-25-2023, 01:10 PM
10 Year Member

Thank you for the info. I have had no battery problems, however, my engine light kept coming on, a couple of weeks ago, and I needed to have a coil replaced. That fixed that problem. I also own a OBD2/EOBD scanner, It is a SEEKONE model SK819. I have attached a photo of the unit, and a Table of Contents. It comes in handy. Can I do the scan for codes myself?

Old 05-25-2023, 03:15 PM

I don't know anything about that model, but its not surprising as there are a billion of them out there at that point.

Looks like it can read them. Try following section 5.1 and 5.5/5.6/5.7.

That should tell you both if there are any stored codes (some of which dont illuminate the check engine light) and if all of the readiness monitors have completed their tests.

Last edited by bumpin96monte; 05-25-2023 at 03:24 PM.