Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Parking brake stuck?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2017, 12:26 AM
Default Parking brake stuck?

I just changed the oil on my 2001 Monte Carlo ss and changed the filter so I took the front right tire off. I put on the parking brake when I did.

I released the parking break and the car won't move forward though it tries to.

it will reverse but squeaks so I assume it's the parking brake. How do I fix since the parking brake came all the way back up?

I'm not well versed in cars

thank you

Old 04-05-2017, 02:10 PM

Take the tire off the Drivers side rear and see if the cable Broke. If it broke you need to replace it. If not broke and you haven't worked with this type of things I am not sure it is something that you would want to try and work on without harm to yourself.

Maybe you could get away with looking over the area and finding a spot where it is binding, Tap it with a Hammer, spray with some WD40 or other Penetrating oil. (Cable area not brake area) Set it and release it a few times and see if it releases the brake

Old 04-05-2017, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by Imp42017
Take the tire off the Drivers side rear and see if the cable Broke. If it broke you need to replace it. If not broke and you haven't worked with this type of things I am not sure it is something that you would want to try and work on without harm to yourself.

Maybe you could get away with looking over the area and finding a spot where it is binding, Tap it with a Hammer, spray with some WD40 or other Penetrating oil. (Cable area not brake area) Set it and release it a few times and see if it releases the brake
thank you.
I had a friend come help me the cable in the back right git stuck because it was rusted. We (he) pushed it back with a crowbar and it seems to have fixed it.
I appreciate your help

Old 04-05-2017, 10:02 PM

Glad it got worked out. I would maybe look at a Wrecking yard or it maybe better to get it from RockAuto. For 01 MC they have a Cable that starts at 9 and options between that and 38ish. With Acdelco second to the highest priced one. There is some other parts that I would replace where in there as well. If your in a Rust area I would make sure to keep that well lubed up over the years so it don't break or freeze again.

Glad you got your car going again. and Welcome to the Forum
James