Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): p0410 CEL Air Pump System Malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2015 | 01:39 PM

Well, the solenoid for the diverter valve clicks when I put 12 volts to it, but I'm not sure how to verify if it's good testing it with vacuum.

I took the hose going from the diverter valve to that solenoid off of the diverter valve, leaving the other end connected to the solenoid. I connected that to vacuum and it doesn't hold a vacuum at all, with or without 12 volts on it....like I thought it should (if it were working correctly).

So, I thought I had the problem solved!

Found a part at a local dealership. The Parts Dept guy(surprisingly) let me hook a handheld vacuum pump to the solenoid before I bought it,....and much to my surprise....it doesn't hold a vacuum at all either.

I wasn't able to put 12 volts to it standing there, obviously and unfortunately, so I decided not to buy it.

The parts guy there said he rarely sells the solenoid, but sells plenty of diverter valves and the pipe from it that goes to the manifold.

How do I test that solenoid using vacuum to fully verify it works?
I would think put vacuum to it,....and watch it go away once 12 volts it put to it.

How do I test the diverter valve?
No way to close off the pipe and blow through it.

If the problem is that pipe from the diverter valve to the exhaust manifold, I will probably pay to have that replaced. I don't think I can get back down in there. But, I sure don't want to pay to have the diverter valve replaced if I can do it myself (and it appears I can).

I have a compressed L1 and L2 vertebrae from a bike wreck. I'm good to do most activities, but leaning over that far, trying to do work, is probably not gonna happen.

Again, any help is much appreciated!

JC

Last edited by JohnnyCarlo; 09-30-2015 at 03:59 PM.
Old 09-30-2015 | 03:55 PM

Well, the other day, I took Christine to a local repair shop that quoted me "half hour...40 dollar diagnosis". Every other place says about 90 bucks to look at it.
I told the guy the air pump fuse was blown when I got the car and that I replaced the fuse and I can hear the air pump coming on every morning for a minute or so,...but that I get the p0410 code.

His computer tells him....."Bad Secondary Air Pump". He tells me the air pump isn't coming on,...even when he "commands it to" with his scanner thing. I tell him I can hear it in the mornings.
So, of course he thinks I'm nuts, but doesn't charge me a penny after spending over an hour with it inside his shop.

Next day, I make a video of it when I start it up,....the air pump is clearly sucking air for the first minute or so.
I take the video in and he says, "Yep, that's the air pump coming on."

He again hooks up his computer, and again the air pump won't come on.
He's baffled, I'm baffled. He suggested I leave it overnight,... so he can check it out at first cold start.
Still hasn't charged me a thing.

The place is a nice, clean place in Canton and the owner is the one doing my car.

Just an update for any of you following this.
Any ideas or suggestions are greatly appreciated!

JC

Last edited by JohnnyCarlo; 09-30-2015 at 03:58 PM.