Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): p0410 CEL Air Pump System Malfunction

Old 09-21-2015, 07:02 PM
Default p0410 CEL Air Pump System Malfunction

Hello everyone,

I just recently got this 2002 Monte SS (85K) and I have this code, p0410. It refers to a "Secondary Air Injection System Malfunction".

I checked the fuse today for the air pump, and it was blown.
I replaced the fuse and 5 hours later,...it's still good!
We will see if it blows after a cold start tomorrow.

I tested the relay and compared to a new relay, and it seems to test good.

I don't think I would be able to hear the air pump running tomorrow morning even if it does (along with the engine). I'm thinking I need to get to that air pump and put 12 volts directly to it. Does anyone know of a troubleshooting chart to check this system? I know there are lines, one way check valves, and relays to check also.

Any help is much appreciated!
Thank you

JC

Last edited by JohnnyCarlo; 09-30-2015 at 03:59 PM.
Old 09-21-2015, 10:10 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I don't know much on the troubleshooting, but did look into what it would take to remove it from the car (since a friend of mine has the same code but our state does not require it for our emissions check). To remove it, looks pretty "simple":
- Either change out the rear exhaust manifold OR get a piece of metal that can serve as a "block off" plate where it fits on the rear manifold.
- Remove the assembly on the back of the engine
- Remove the pump under the driver side headlight
- Have PCM adjusted to turn off that the air pump exists
- Done

Admittedly, we have NOT removed his pump, but I believe I know the PCM changes that are required.

Old 09-22-2015, 01:24 AM

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
I don't know much on the troubleshooting, but did look into what it would take to remove it from the car (since a friend of mine has the same code but our state does not require it for our emissions check). To remove it, looks pretty "simple":
- Either change out the rear exhaust manifold OR get a piece of metal that can serve as a "block off" plate where it fits on the rear manifold.
- Remove the assembly on the back of the engine
- Remove the pump under the driver side headlight
- Have PCM adjusted to turn off that the air pump exists
- Done

Admittedly, we have NOT removed his pump, but I believe I know the PCM changes that are required.

Why would I change out the rear exhaust manifold,... to get access to the air pump that is behind the headlight?

What assembly is on the back of the engine?

What's with adjusting/changing the PCM?

Thanks!

JC

Last edited by JohnnyCarlo; 09-30-2015 at 03:59 PM.
Old 09-22-2015, 11:48 AM

Good news,...I think.....
The fuse for the air pump that I replaced, not only didn't blow this morning, but I could plainly hear the vacuum cleaner sound coming from behind the driver's headlight!
It lasted a few minutes, during which time the sucking sound was less and less as time went by...until it completely stopped. I'm guessing that's when "closed loop" began to occur. Hope so anyway!

I guess I will disconnect the ground terminal for a bit and see if Autozone still reads the p0410 code!

JC

Last edited by JohnnyCarlo; 09-30-2015 at 04:00 PM.
Old 09-22-2015, 05:16 PM

Well, after disconnecting the negative battery terminal and having a sandwich and then reconnecting it,....the check engine light is OFF.

I know that even if I still have a problem,...the light would be OFF until a few starts.

How long until the light comes back ON?
IF I have NOT solved the issues with an air pump fuse and tightening the gas cap?

Thanks!

JC

Old 09-23-2015, 05:25 AM

10 Year Member

Everything I mentioned was if you wanted to remove the air pump system (as it's part of a California emissions requirement, nothing more).

Originally Posted by JohnnyCarlo
Why would I change out the rear exhaust manifold,... to get access to the air pump that is behind the headlight?
The rear exhaust manifold for a car with this air pump assembly is a little different. It has additional tubing on it, as the air pump will force fresh air into the exhaust stream from the rear manifold. You could remove the tube going into this extra piping and install a plate to cap off the connection or if you replace the rear manifold with one from a car that does not use the air pump, you won't need to cap that connection in the manifold and it prevents the car from looking like anything is missing (not that it matters unless someone was concerned that an emissions check point may look at that, which Ohio's echeck does not).
The air pump system has a pump under the driver side headlight (this is where it gains fresh air). If you were to remove that entire air pump system, you remove that pump and follow it up to the assembly on the back of the engine (see answer to next question) and as I mentioned, you either cap the connection it uses on the rear manifold or swap with a rear manifold that never used the air pump system.

What assembly is on the back of the engine?
If you look at the bracket on the back of the engine (the plastic engine cover has a stud that rests through part of that bracket), there is a small piece of equipment with a cable connected to it and a tube that goes into the piping on the rear exhaust manifold.
This is part of the air pump system and only required if your car has that system.

What's with adjusting/changing the PCM?
The PCM is the "Performance Control Module" (formally known as an ECU/ECM, basically the computer the controls that car). If you remove the air pump, system but don't have the computer adjusted (some may say "re-tuned"), then check engine codes will pop up as a result. The PCM needs to be altered by someone with a tuning device (DHP PowrTuner or HPtuners) to turn off the air pump system information in the PCM.

Old 09-23-2015, 12:35 PM

Wow, thanks for taking the time to explain all that!

My evap system code, p0445, is gone (from tightening the gas cap I guess).

The p0410 code is still there,....even though I replaced the blown fuse to the air pump, and I clearly hear it blowing air during first start up,...like it's supposed to.

So,...something is still wrong. I'm guessing whatever it is, caused the fuse to blow and will probably cause it to blow again. A plugged line possibly?

I need to find the location of each check valve and other things involved in the system, and individually check each item.

Sound right to you?
Assuming I don't want to remove the system, just want to find the problem and fix it.

JC

Old 09-23-2015, 04:07 PM

So, there's only one secondary air injection check valve?
That's the small piece of equipment on the back of the engine held on by a bracket that feeds air to the rear manifold that you mentioned, right?

JC

Last edited by JohnnyCarlo; 09-30-2015 at 04:01 PM.
Old 09-23-2015, 04:19 PM

I need to test that and the solenoid that connects to it.

JC

Last edited by JohnnyCarlo; 09-30-2015 at 04:01 PM.
Old 09-23-2015, 09:57 PM

10 Year Member

So, there's only one secondary air injection check valve?
That's the small piece of equipment on the back of the engine held on by a bracket that feeds air to the rear manifold that you mentioned, right?
You are correct. Not much over all to the air system. That piece, a rear manifold and the pump up front.

Search this Thread