Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): P0301 Code When Starting Engine

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2017, 02:55 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2017
Question P0301 Code When Starting Engine

Hi there,

I get a flashing "Check Engine" light on my dash, which I know is a misfire. Scanned it and it had a code P0301 for cylinder 1 misfire.

This ONLY happens to me when I first start my car after not driving it for a few days. The engine shakes quite a bit, has the flashing engine check light, then goes back to normal for the rest of the day. I've never had this happen while driving.

I replaced my spark plugs and wires 10,000 miles ago (exactly one year ago this past Sunday), as well as put a new battery in about 2,000 miles ago (3 months ago).

Any suggestions on what could be the culprit, considering this only happens when first starting the car after not driving it for a bit?

Thanks, MCF!

Old 08-17-2017, 02:05 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2017

Just a friendly bump. Would really like some help with this. Thank you.

Old 08-18-2017, 05:07 PM

Without actually hearing it or seeing the vehicle it is always hard to diagnose. It could be a bad head gasket allowing antifreeze in to that cylinder thus not sparking when you start it but after it evaporates in that cylinder you have spark. I hope this is not it. Make sure you check the plug wire for any cracks or problems. Normally ignition coils either work or don't work, no intermittent. I hope you figure this out.