Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

7th Gen ('06-'07): My tranny.

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2017, 02:58 AM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default My tranny.

So my tranny died I am pretty sure. It was a long declining and slipping and noise making and grinding and hard shifting and shoving, jerking process. All adjectives used to describe the experience not in any specific order but I am sure I experienced everything just stated. Now no gears go at all from 1 2 3 D R. I have the 4T65E tranny of course. In my research, a lot of vehicles have this tranny. I refuse to part with my car and want to resurrect it. Will every 4T65E tranny in every vehicle that has it work perfectly and splendidly in mine? My plan is to remove my dead one with a swap of another used one. Will any other tranny out there that is not specifically the 4T65E tranny work in my car without modifications? Please help with all information and knowledge!

Old 08-19-2017, 10:27 PM

have you taken it anywhere to have it checked? might just need a solenoid or new filter etc, before you replace it!? or maybe a rebuild?

Old 08-20-2017, 01:54 AM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I have not had it professionally diagnosed yet but hope to soon. It would seem it is not the solenoid from all I described of how none of the gears do anything when in them. Before it died we changed the (drained not flushed) fluid, filter and gasket and it made the symptoms I experienced and described worse. The noise and grinding sounds seemed to come after this as well as driving and slipping in general. So.

Old 08-20-2017, 08:30 AM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by 2007MonteCarloLS
So my tranny died I am pretty sure. It was a long declining and slipping and noise making and grinding and hard shifting and shoving, jerking process. All adjectives used to describe the experience not in any specific order but I am sure I experienced everything just stated. Now no gears go at all from 1 2 3 D R. I have the 4T65E tranny of course. In my research, a lot of vehicles have this tranny. I refuse to part with my car and want to resurrect it. Will every 4T65E tranny in every vehicle that has it work perfectly and splendidly in mine? My plan is to remove my dead one with a swap of another used one. Will any other tranny out there that is not specifically the 4T65E tranny work in my car without modifications? Please help with all information and knowledge!
The tranny is not very interchangeable with other years or models. There is a metal ID tag facing to the rear on the passenger side (hard to see w/o the wheel removed). The large vertical letters on the tags need to match.

Here's a link to Triple Edge Performance where they describe the ID tag.
Link: http://www.tripleedgeperformance.com..._Tag_Info.html

Here's a vehicle application list:
Link: http://www.tripleedgeperformance.com..._App_List.html

Here's the Interchange list:
Link: http://www.gmtuners.com/pda/4T65E-ID.htm

Last edited by plumbob; 08-20-2017 at 05:39 PM.
Old 08-20-2017, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by 2007MonteCarloLS
I have not had it professionally diagnosed yet but hope to soon.
Please be sure you take it to someone you can trust. Otherwise, theres that chance you could be paying anywhere up to 4000 for something that can cost less than 1000..