Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): Overheating issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2017, 08:28 AM
Default Overheating issues

So I recently changed the belt tensioner since the heater hose that connects to it kept coming off causing coolant to be released. I've been adding coolant and burping the system for about three days now and the car is still going over the halfway temperature mark on the gauge. As far as the cooling system goes since I've got the car I've changed the tensioner, radiator, both hoses, flushed the system, the thermostat,the thermostat housing, the radiator cap, and the coolant overflow tank. No matter what I do, the temperature continues to go past normal temperature. It doesn't over heat to the point where it reaches the red box at the end of the gauge but it does go anywhere from the line just past the halfway all the way to the line just before the red box. When it makes it that far I turn the heat on and it starts to lower for a bit. It's an 05 Monte Carlo SS Supercharged is it any opinions from you guys?

Old 08-05-2017, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by MonteMan23
So I recently changed the belt tensioner since the heater hose that connects to it kept coming off causing coolant to be released. I've been adding coolant and burping the system for about three days now and the car is still going over the halfway temperature mark on the gauge. As far as the cooling system goes since I've got the car I've changed the tensioner, radiator, both hoses, flushed the system, the thermostat,the thermostat housing, the radiator cap, and the coolant overflow tank. No matter what I do, the temperature continues to go past normal temperature. It doesn't over heat to the point where it reaches the red box at the end of the gauge but it does go anywhere from the line just past the halfway all the way to the line just before the red box. When it makes it that far I turn the heat on and it starts to lower for a bit. It's an 05 Monte Carlo SS Supercharged is it any opinions from you guys?
I got the mechanic to look at it yesterday. He bled it for hours until the air was completely out and checked the temperature with an obd scanner and it was running max 221 then it would come back down to anywhere between 212-217 when the fans kicked in. Is this an okay temperature ?

Old 08-05-2017, 11:48 AM

I got the mechanic to look at it yesterday. He bled it for hours until the air was completely out and checked the temperature with an obd scanner and it was running max 221 then it would come back down to anywhere between 212-217 when the fans kicked in. Is this an okay temperature ?
im quite sure the normal operating temp is 190ish to 220 when is the last time you changed the thermostat?

Old 08-05-2017, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by Bleedintoone
im quite sure the normal operating temp is 190ish to 220 when is the last time you changed the thermostat?
Last I can remember it was probably late last year or early this year and I believe I put in a 195° one

Old 08-05-2017, 12:17 PM

Last I can remember it was probably late last year or early this year and I believe I put in a 195° one
My coworker was tellin me I should put in a 160° one so it would keep the engine cooler but I wasn't too sure that was the right way to go

Old 08-05-2017, 12:23 PM

My coworker was tellin me I should put in a 160° one so it would keep the engine cooler but I wasn't too sure that was the right way to go
If you are stock 160 is unnecessary, I would almost bet there is still air in the system, I have one of these and use it to get the air out of the system it works like a charm https://www.walmart.com/ip/Lisle-24680-Spill-Free-Funnel/29724014?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=1148&ad id=22222222228019702990&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=m&wl3=51773 670911&wl4=pla-83190444071&wl5=9014178&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl1 0=112562587&wl11=online&wl12=29724014&wl13=&veh=se m

After attaching it you let the car idle in either a flat spot or with the passenger side of the car at the highest point and when you don't see bubbles in the funnel anymore you are done

Old 08-05-2017, 12:28 PM

Also I'm sure you know this but make sure the heater is maxed when doing this

Old 08-05-2017, 12:39 PM

Also I'm sure you know this but make sure the heater is maxed when doing this
I have exactly that same one lol, I put it on but my question is do I leave fluid in it and put the stopper in it as well? I have the stock supercharger yeah

Old 08-05-2017, 12:43 PM

I have exactly that same one lol, I put it on but my question is do I leave fluid in it and put the stopper in it as well? I have the stock supercharger yeah
What I do is pour enough fluid in it to wear it would seem overfilled to allow the air bubbles to work themselves out, however when it's all done you could suction out the remaining fluid or soak it up with paper towels or something, I'm not sure what you mean by a stop but I just tighten the funnel down and then pour the coolant in and let it idle

Old 08-05-2017, 12:53 PM

What I do is pour enough fluid in it to wear it would seem overfilled to allow the air bubbles to work themselves out, however when it's all done you could suction out the remaining fluid or soak it up with paper towels or something, I'm not sure what you mean by a stop but I just tighten the funnel down and then pour the coolant in and let it idle
it comes with a stopper stick, a fluid stopper I don't need to use that?