Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Opinion Needed: Output Shaft Bearing Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2015, 07:35 AM
Default Output Shaft Bearing Replacement

I have a 2007 Monte Carlo LS. The front end has had a vibration noise so I jacked the car up to take a look. Seemed like a front wheel bearing. Vibrates when going straight or making a right turn, stops when turning left. Both bearings were tight but had already bought one so I replaced the passenger side bearing, was always told if it quiets turning left then its the right, but I have seen others say the opposite, the noise also sounded like it was from the right also. So I changed the bearing and it didn't fix the problem, 3 weeks later the noise got really bad so I jacked up the car again and the right wheel bearing was shot. So I changed it again but the vibration was really bad yet. I am pretty sure it is the bearing in the transmission side. I am not sure what all is involved to change that bearing out. I never rebuilt an automatic before but tore one down once, i am worried that I take it apart more than I really need and ruin it.

Any advice out there on how to do this job, is it somewhat easy to do myself or better off to go to the garage? Any info would help, thanks in advance.