Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Ordering Cam

Old 12-16-2015, 09:39 AM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Ordering Cam

Hi, I'm not sure if this goes in this section, but I just removed the cam from my 06, 3.9LT. A lifter had somehow gotten stuck, broke up, and chipped one of the lobes on the cam. The timing tensioner also broke in the process. I finally fished all the needles and metal out, and am finally ready to order a replacement, but I'm having trouble when I contact the dealers. The dealers keep saying I need a Camshaft Package,19301052, but I keep coming up with just the Camshaft 12591843. Does anyone know if the Package comes with more than the Cam, or if it is necessary to order one that says Package? The dealers keep saying that is what shows up in their system, and my part number doesn't, but I received the part number from their websites. Does this make sense to anyone?

Old 12-17-2015, 10:37 AM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2015
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

I just went to the GM parts direct website and put in your part number for just the camshaft and this page came up and you can order just the camshaft

CAMSHAFT | Genuine GM | 12591843

so I would just order from gm parts direct and save about $300 from the looks of it as the package your dealer is trying to sell you is over $569 and the camshaft is only $273

The website doesn't show what is included in the camshaft package though

Old 12-17-2015, 12:37 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

That's what I hope I can do and was originally planning on, just ordering 12591843, but when I called the dealer to find out how long to expect for delivery (a dealer advertised it originally), they said the that part number isn't in their system, which led me to visiting the local dealer...I thought maybe because they're the dealers, they don't have the option to order just 12591843, since the other pieces are usually damaged as well. I'm probably going to just order that one and see what happens, I just wasn't sure if somehow I screwed up on what I was looking for and ordering. When I kept pricing out all the pieces involved, bearings, actuator, sensor (all of which seem fine in mine), that comes to close to the package price, so I thought maybe that is the story with the other part number. Such a headache! LOL. The local dealer recommended to just look for a high performance piece instead since he said, "Whoa! That's a lot for just a Cam $900." This is all new to me, so for right now, I think I'm better sticking with stock since I just want the car running again.

Search this Thread