Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

ok...so i got my pulley

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2007, 08:18 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member
Default ok...so i got my pulley

ok...so on friday i bought my 3.4" supercharger pulley from a guy with a grand prix that found out he could do the 3.2" one and never installed the 3.4"

ok..so here's my question before i install it

can you install this thing without any programming??

what programming is needed?? i just heard people meantion that you have to reprogram it ...so i need to know what programming is needed...

Old 02-24-2007, 09:28 PM
Default RE: ok...so i got my pulley

good luck

Old 02-24-2007, 10:18 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I sat down with a rep from SLP for about 20min. last spring at the Lane Automotive show, and he said you can run a 3.4" or 3.5" without re-programming. BUT, you better run colder plugs and a high-flow 180 thermostat. A 3.4" is worth what, 18hp?
I got about 60,000mi of warranty before I do that to mine.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2319272

Old 02-26-2007, 10:40 AM
5 Year Member

ok...thanks for the info i just needed to know if any programming was needed, glad to hear that not necesary....would programming benifit it if i did it though??

like i can install the pulley now and reprogram it later whn i have the moola to buy a programmer...or does it make that much of a difference to justify spending the 300 bucks on one...

18 hp for a pulley? thats a really nice gain..i was expecting something like that...thats definetely something you can feel

Old 02-26-2007, 07:02 PM

I just asked a co-worker who had a GP with a 3.2, and he said he had his reprogramed because of KR issues, but a 3.4 or 3.5 shouldn't be a problem. BUT, use the colder plugs, 180 thermostat, and ALWAYS use 93 octane gas. Cheap gas is what will get you.
He had DHP reprogram his PCM.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2319272

Old 02-26-2007, 08:12 PM

I have a friend who has a gtp that put on a 3.4 pulley and when he did this they guy said to also get the u-bend delete other wise there will be alot of back presure and i cant remeber if you have a u-bend delete or not so just something to look out after

Old 02-26-2007, 10:54 PM

I forgot about that, I agree.

Old 02-27-2007, 10:23 AM
5 Year Member

i already have the exhaust completely done...first thing i did actually...still have stocker mufflers...and i also have a k&n cold air intake

Old 03-15-2007, 01:46 AM

Wow the misinformation that has been spreading since I left!!!

Just droping to a 3.5 can cause engine failure. The first thing you need is a scanner of some form... I have a LS1M and it is one of the best investments ever. I run 103 autolite plugs, 180* T-stat, Wizaired Cold Intake, Random Tech downpipe and Dynomax Catback, and 93 Octane.

If I floor it I get 7* of KR. Anything over 5* is causing engine damage.

So first get the scanner, test, then install the pulley and test again. I'm looking to actually swap out the whole system for a turbo this year.

Old 03-18-2007, 06:55 AM

i hope you know a turbo isnt going to solve your KR problem! you may have a ls1m to scan with, but it cant do anythign to fix the problem. if your getting 5-7* of Kr at WOT then you need to find out why. could be a number of issues. and if you had a programer you could atleast boost fuel in the section at wot where you are seeing the KR or lower the spark timing.

to answer the above questions... YES a tuner will make a noticable diff in HP. you may beable to squeeze the 3.4 in and have no issues, but its not worth the risk. get a tuner if you can afford one.... if you cant... get a scaner like the ls1m or the aeroforce interceptor ( what i have) 100-200 is better then rolling the dice and loosing the motor.

I personally have both a tuner and the interceptor. many last year said i was crazy and it was overkill to have them both, but how many people want to drive around town with a laptop for everyone to see and steal? i like to beable to monitor KR and my O2 readings while driving... i spent a lot of money for the pair but i would do it all over agian.

Yeah if you can afford the tuner get it first. the sooner you get it, the sooner you can make the most out of the mods you have. who knows you might not need another mod for a little while longer! between fuel, spark, and shift point tuning, you can see some major improvements in 1/4 times. not to mention you can adjust trany settings to protect it, and by having the fuel tuned properly you will save gas!

Quick Reply: ok...so i got my pulley