Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Oil Change Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 01:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Oil Change Questions

Greetings!

It's been a while since my last post so here it is!

I have a couple questions about changing the oil. I use to just go to the lube place down the street but it's time I get my hands dirty on my recently unwarranted Monte. I am going to have to do it this afternoon in record time! I'd like to go in prepared. I have the filter and oil....

What size bolt is the drain plug? In other words, what size socket is it?

At places that change my oil for me, they don't jack up the front end. Do I have to do jack up the front end or can I just reach in and undo the bolt (with the catch pan underneath of course )?

Thanks!
I guess I'm bored. Sorry in advance for the post

Old 06-29-2011, 03:13 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Moved your post to the General Tech thread as the how-to section is only for actual How-To posts, not questions.

If memory serves me correctly the drain plug is a 13mm (although it could be 15mm, I know they are different between my 00 and my father's 06)

You should warm up the car and then let it sit for a few minutes, and I would definitely jack up the front. I find removing the passenger side wheel a very easy way to reach the oil filter and remove it.

Also remember it takes 4.5 quarts.

Old 06-29-2011, 10:04 PM

I use a pair of ramps and just drive the car up on those. Its a lot faster and easier and I think its safer.

Like Chibi said, its either a 13 or 15mm, I can't remember which.

Wayne

Old 06-29-2011, 10:37 PM

I know that my 2000 SS was a 13 mm, but I don't know about the newer models.

I second Chibi's advice of taking off the passenger wheel...then you can see it very easily...I took another member's advice of taking a decent sized nail and hammer and poking a hole in the very bottom of the filter so as to allow it to drain without getting oil all over my hands as I unscrewed the filter, worked well!

Old 06-29-2011, 10:53 PM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by Furder2010
I took another member's advice of taking a decent sized nail and hammer and poking a hole in the very bottom of the filter so as to allow it to drain without getting oil all over my hands as I unscrewed the filter, worked well!
Man, I wish I thought of that. It would have stopped the oil from splashing all over the parts below it. Clean up would have been a lot easier.

My 2001 SS is a 15mm

I ended up just turning the wheels to the right as far as they would go and that left me plenty of room to work with. I jacked up the front right of the car with my hydraulic jack until the right front wheel was off the ground.

Thanks to all! Btw, if anyone reads this and wants to add their tips, go nuts! I'm sure there is something like this out there but I couldn't find it in the first page of searching.

Old 06-30-2011, 06:11 AM

15 Year Member

2000 is a 13, 2001 is a 15.

I guess that's another mark to the differences in the 2000...

Old 06-30-2011, 06:32 AM

I like the nail in the filter idea! I was gonna ask if anybody had a method to keep the oil from getting everywhere, but I didn't know how to type it without sounding like a noob.

The wiring harness below my filter is a hot mess from all the oil that's been 'spilled' on it over the years (previous owners). I'll use this tip and maybe get it cleaned up and stay that way.

Old 06-30-2011, 06:42 AM

15 Year Member

The most I'll get is a tiny bit on a control arm, how are you guys getting oil everywhere? :P

Old 06-30-2011, 07:12 AM

Funny story - (please note, I'm no mechanic) My aunt-in-law was in town a while back and she has an Impala with the 3800 (Yes, I was jealous and made it known). She wanted her oil changed before she headed back home and I offered to do it. I had no problems on my monte and I had learned that they are very similar cars. How different could the 3800 be?

It took me 20 minutes to find that damn oil filter!! I had to trace the oil spill from where previous oil changes left it all over the control arm. Took the tire off and it was a breeze... more jealousy! (I want a 3800... ) I love my car!! (in case she's looking)

Old 06-30-2011, 08:03 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
I find removing the passenger side wheel a very easy way to reach the oil filter and remove it.
For a 3800, though I have never popped the tire off, I will agree, that does make it easier. I tend to make a hard right turn and just hug the tire as I spin off the filter. My filter wrench may also make the task easier. I use a filter wrench that goes on my rachet and it has 3 spokes and as you turn the rachet it squeezes the filter until it has a grab on it and spins it free. But again, it takes hugging the tire and probably good arm's length to do it.

I've done 3100/3400 n-body oil changes a lot. When we got the 3400 powered '05 Impala, I found it funny that I have an easier time reaching the oil filter from up top instead of below the car.

Safety tip - Using a jack and ramps are great (though I only used ramps once, not a fan), place jack stands under them. I've had jacks seep hydralic oil and slowly lower and I also know of a couple of stories where ramps flatten/collapsed/failed. Jack stands take a couple seconds to place and are worth the safety value. Also, any time I pop a wheel off, I tuck it under the car for a little extra safety (not as good as jack stands but if it has to be off, where else should you put it).

Quick Reply: Oil Change Questions