Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Oil & Air Filter Change

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 06:11 PM
Default Oil & Air Filter Change

Hi gang, just spent the afternoon putting in a K&N Air Filter, and change the oil on my Monty. I used Mobile 1 synthetic oil and a K&N High Performance oil filter. You can check out the step by step photos at:

http://public.fotki.com/RoySorenson/...nty/page2.html

Old 02-23-2008, 09:46 PM
Default RE: Oil & Air Filter Change

perfect .....once i get my monty out of the garage thats the first thing im going todo.......oil change and filter........this will be my first time doing the oil change in my monty ......how much oil did you use? and is Mobile 1 synthetic the best choice?

Old 02-23-2008, 10:40 PM

I used the Mobile 1 because my brother and his son's swear by the stuff. I picked-up my 6 quart pack at Costco for $22.95. I put 5 in the cars motor, and the sixth one went into the trunk.

Old 03-01-2008, 08:05 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

That's a REALLY good price on the Mobil 1.

Old 03-02-2008, 10:57 AM

ORIGINAL: YellowBomb

I used the Mobile 1 because my brother and his son's swear by the stuff. I picked-up my 6 quart pack at Costco for $22.95. I put 5 in the cars motor, and the sixth one went into the trunk.
I am so glad you posted that 2nd sentance. I was like "Oh ****, He didn't use all 6 quarts."

Good price as well.

Old 03-02-2008, 11:02 AM

Yeah, Costco or K-Mart seem to have the best prices. I think K-Mart also offers it in a 5 Quart jug. This is the first time I've used a synthetic, and I think the car is running much smoother. Can't wait to go on a long ride and see how much better the gas mileage will be.

Old 03-16-2008, 10:18 AM

The only problem with using a full synthetic oil, is, if it hasn't been used from day 1, you will
start getting leaks around the cam seals, crank seal, and valve cover gaskets. The best way to go is a semi synthetic (synthetic blend) or a high mileage oil. It is also a syn blend. This will soften up dry seals ( if the car has been sitting for a period of time). Also replace the A/C Delco oil filter with a Wix. It is a better filter with an an anti drainback check, so it will keep some oil in the engine and help prevent dry starts. The best semi synthetic oil would be
Castrol GTX High Mileage. DO NOT use a Fram Oil Filter. They have a great advertising campaign, but that's about it. You will start getting all kinds of ticking noises from your engine, and it will drive you absolutely crazy.

Old 03-17-2008, 02:53 AM

I switched to Castrol because my step dad has a '91 Beretta with a 2.2 and that's what he runs. This car has over 450,000 original miles. He's replaced gaskets...that's it.

Old 04-20-2008, 07:22 AM

Very nice photo albums you have there, Roy. I really like what you've done with the brakes and all the photos. Well done!

PS - what kind of wheels are those on the Monte?

Mark

Old 04-20-2008, 09:08 AM

Just wanted to say thanks... thats was VERY helpful! I've been wanting to do this before, but never learned how to do this on our cars!

Quick Reply: Oil & Air Filter Change