Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): OBD scanner apps?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2017, 01:38 PM
1 Year Member
Default OBD scanner apps?

Hey all, I ordered a ELM 327 device finally and got it in the mail today. So, I am wondering what app does everyone like for running diagnostics on their cars?
I am using an IPhone 7, or an Ipad so I need one that works with the IPhone. I looked at the torque app but see it only works for Android.
I downloaded one app, Auto Doctor and it looks like it will do what I want, but the free version doesn't do much. I don't mind spending money on a decent app, but looking on the net at auto doctor it looks like they want $50 for it.
A lot of the Apps I have looked at appear to be just code readers or glorified gauges. I already have a code reader so I can get codes without the 327 device. The car has gauges installed so I don't care about the tachometer and speedometer on my phone. I want to be able to live monitor data to find out what is going on.
This car has a misfire that I just cant seem to track down. I don't want to just start throwing parts on it until I find the right one, and I don't want to spend the money for a shop to look at it. I have posted before trying to find the problem. One time I pull cods I get P0300, another time P0301 then P0304. Once in a while I am getting P0131. Most of the time the car struggles to pull itself up small hills, but no codes come up.
I don't mind spending a little for an app but I want to make sure it will do what I need before I go spending money.

Old 06-17-2017, 07:40 AM

Id just get a cheap android phone and go with torque.. Some are less than 20$, 10$even.

Old 06-17-2017, 03:31 PM
1 Year Member

I suppose I wouldn't have to have the phone turned on to a cell plan to run the app, as long as I could get an app loaded onto the phone without service. I had never thought of that.

Old 06-18-2017, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by SteveL
I suppose I wouldn't have to have the phone turned on to a cell plan to run the app, as long as I could get an app loaded onto the phone without service. I had never thought of that.
Its exactly what I did.. Took about a week before I thought that same thing..

Could always use a laptop or tablet also..

Old 06-19-2017, 06:32 PM

Not sure what year your car is, HOwever I have the same thing ELM 327 I bought off ebay that I can't get to work on anything under a 06 GM. I have tried 00, imp, 02 Monte Carlo, 03 Imp, 04 SS Imp, and none worked however it did work with an 06 Imp and all others above 06. I thought it could have been the Free app so I even bought the Pro App and didn't make it work.

Tried a few different smart phones as well. So it wasn't just my phones and they do have service.