Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

o2 Sensor will NOT budge

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 03:11 PM
Default o2 Sensor will NOT budge

rented a A.Z. o2 wrench (pretty nice btw), hit the o2 sensor with some liq wrench, started the car and warmed up exhaust, and basically started stripping the sensor, even used breaker bar!... any suggestions with this? I'd hate to take to my mechanic, but short of heating the thing till redhot, I'm stumped. tkz

Old 03-06-2014, 03:20 PM
Thumbs up Good Luck!

Remember your high-school physics...make sure u spray on the sensor itself....not on the surrunding area of the pipe because what you wanna do is leave the pipe as hot as you can (expanded) and the sensor itself as cold as you can (contracted). Spray enough to cool down the sensor as much as u can, then try it.

Found the above from the web. I hope it helps.
Check back to see what our expert tech's suggest. Take a break, let it cool down *& U also : ) Soak it good & try again.
Good Luck 4-Sure

p.s. If that doesn't work, get a sledge hammer > LOL

Old 03-06-2014, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by Space

Found the above from the web. I hope it helps.
Check back to see what our expert tech's suggest. Take a break, let it cool down *& U also : ) Soak it good & try again.
Good Luck 4-Sure

p.s. If that doesn't work, get a sledge hammer > LOL

Lol, yea a sledge is nice... I did try it cold, saturated for a bit, but that didn't work. I then saturated more, heated up the exhaust and nothing. I guess I'll cool it again, oil it and see what happens

Old 03-06-2014, 03:32 PM

Keep checking back & hopefully one of our super member's will have a solution. I think they made them not to come `out, but I know that many have replaced them.

Again, wish you good luck. * I can relate to the frustrations 4-Sure.

Old 03-06-2014, 03:37 PM

Check out the below during your break > good luck I hope the below helps ?

Last edited by Space; 03-06-2014 at 03:40 PM.
Old 03-06-2014, 03:44 PM

thanks! that will come in handy. I didn't know Arnold Schwarzenegger was intuitive lol

Old 03-06-2014, 05:57 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Try some kinda freeze lube too. The stuff I have is made by Loctite. Its basically penetrating oil, but they put butane in the can as well. That actually freezes the surface its sprayed on at the same time.

I bought some cuz I heard it worked well enough to chill a room temp. beer instantly, but it doesn't really work that well. And, predictably, it made the can greasy

Old 03-06-2014, 06:04 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I have had to replace a few of these beotches lately. Ended up taking a heat gun and toasting them till they were extremely hot, and off they come with some muscle behind the wrench. I cut the connector wire on the sensor side and can then get an box end wrench on the sensor and go for it. Good luck!!

Last edited by ZIPPY02; 03-06-2014 at 06:07 PM.
Old 03-06-2014, 06:53 PM

pb blaster works great. i dont ever bye wd40 or liquid wrench unless its for a door hinge or something like that.

Old 03-06-2014, 06:59 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

What has worked for me so far everytime of removing a bad O2:
- Cut the cord on it
- Put a deep well socket on it (as my O2 sensor socket has a split down the center and won't hold up to one stuck in there).
- If possible (and on the 3800 L36 it is) use a long socket extension to have your ratchet (with pipe on handle) or breaker bar above the engine (allows you to get a good gripe and a smooth "crack").
- Crack it loose.

I've even done that in the junk yard one or twice. Has worked well.

Keep in mind, running the engine to make it "hot" is only going to cause the threads to hold tighter as metal expands when it's hot. And if you are thinking "get it hot, then let it cool", you already do that driving. You would have to bring a torch to it and focus the heat on it (and with all the stuff around it, I'm uncomfortable bringing a torch to it).

Hope that helps!

Quick Reply: o2 Sensor will NOT budge