Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Not sure where this belongs ...

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 08:46 PM
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Not sure where this belongs ...

What topic header does this belong?

2003 SS

I want to talk about changing my rubber engine/dogbone mounts to polys, etc.

Old 10-05-2011, 11:38 PM

Can't spell PIMP without an MP
Monte Of The Month -- November 2010
2010 Monte Of The Year
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

This seems like a good enough place to me! What's the problem?

Old 10-06-2011, 02:04 AM

No problem(s), so-to-say ... I am just looking to upgrade the rubber what-nots on my "stock" setup on my 2003 SS. I have looked under the hood, and I see that up on the engine, where the dogbones connect - to either side of the oil fill tube - there are, on each side, round rubber mounts. Now these are definitely ones I want to swap out with polyurethane, yes?

Now, further back to the front of the car, but on the dogbones still, there are some "square" rubber mounts, ... I believe these are referred to as the "upper engine mounts", yes? And these are often replaced with polys too, yes?

what other mounts/locations are often paid attn. to in this manner? swapping mount types, etc?

Now as for the 'bones themselves, I have been reading that quite a few folks are going aftermarket for a pair that are most ofter approx. 1" shorter, yes? I HAVE NOT, & AM NOT, going to lower my car whatsoever.

Also, on one side of the square upper engine mounts is the dogbone(s), what is the other end called that is bolted into the front frame/chassis rail of the car? Are those often to be replaced with most upgrade paths?

now I have looked around places like 3800performance, etc. and see absolutely incredible works of art for dogbones of polished aluminum or maybe it was stainless ... but i am not looking for those kinds of prices, nor necessarily that "look", at least not at the moment ... but there must be manufacturers out there that have very similar performance enhancements without the the hefty pricetag - at least for now.

the final question, for now, i hope, is i have been hesitant to pick and piece something together polys for this, and form there,a nd for there and bones for here and etc. not knowing it they are going to all fit together at the end ... not that i cannot mod/fab a little bit if necessary, i think most can appreciate what i am referring to/inquiring about ...

One last thing ... - LOL - ... =) all i have read about and seen are about upper engine mounts this and upper engine mounts that ... is that to say there are NO lower engine mounts whatsoever? or is it to say that if there are, they are essentially not tinkered with unless someone planes on an all-out insane conversion from dealership car to a near non-road drivable, race-track-only car???

i will stop here ... hopefully someone has made it this far. hopefully more than one ...

Zeke
'11

Old 10-06-2011, 07:44 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I haven't looked into the poly replacements, so I'm no help there but hopefully someone else will chime in with some info. As far as mounts go, there is also a tranny mount (#11 in diagram) that can be replaced with a poly unit.

Hmmm...not sure why the diagram isn't showing. It does in the preview but comes up as a red X when I post.

Last edited by 03SSLE; 01-02-2014 at 10:09 PM.
Old 10-06-2011, 07:14 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2011
5 Year Member

This is for the lower poly mount:

ZZ Performance

This one goes inbetween the dogbones and the engine:

ZZ Performance

This one goes between the dogbones and the body:

ZZ Performance

If you don't like those prices then I would watch the classified section here and on clubgp.com.