Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Normal KR Values

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 10:02 AM
3 Year Member
Default Normal KR Values

I have a 2002 Monte Carlo SS with a N/A L36. Current mods are CAI and ZZP Shift Kit. I also have an aeroforce scan gauge. It typically reads 0.0 KR at idle, but at WOT it reads 1.9....is this something to be concerned about or is this normal? The reason I ask is because I am currently collecting parts for the ZZP SS M90 kit and before I install it I want to make sure I have minimal KR.

Thanks
Zach

Old 11-11-2009, 10:08 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

KR should always read 0 in a perfect world.

You will either need to fix a few things, or just keep modding. I say just keep modding and don't go WOT :P

Get a downpipe, and a powerlog, or just go headers. maybe get some rockers.

IMO you should really look into tuning this car yourself. If you buy all the stuff for the SSM90 kit, and then use the canned tune, you may see knock just because the tune isn't being effective for you.

Old 11-11-2009, 11:14 AM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- May 2009
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

everything blacksheep said plus......

once you get the stuff for the m90 kit, i strongly recommend getting it tuned. its really not an option. i had such a hard time with the zzp tune with my kit. my car just wouldnt act right really, not to mention robbed HP. i went a different route from you and did all supporting mods first, then the kit just so i'd be happier with the numbers at the end and also because i knew KR would be an issue, so ceramic coat everything etc.. i was able to start with a SS 3.8 pulley vs. the 4.2 they send with the kit. the real KR killer for this kit is honestly a tune and an intercooler.....once i added the intercooler KR was all but gone.
just to show you how drastic a tune is neccessary, the zzp tune with all my mods (before intercooler) hit 210 to the wheels. after a HP tune with the exact same setup still, it hit 234 to the wheels. the tune was robbing 24 wheel HP! thats insane! the intercooler let me advance my timing a smidge more + run cooler and it gave me another 15 WHP + minimal KR nothing to worry about. hope this helps.

in my albums, you can see some pics of the install and all the parts laid out.