Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Non starting

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2013, 09:15 PM
1 Year Member
Default Non starting

Much to my dismay- after work I hopped in the car and 'no go'. Generally the answer is a battery or the starter, but.... I jumped it and had no better luck. All interior lights, headlights,radio ,locks all work just fine. When you turn the key it will crank once- that's it.
Soooo, best guess for what I should check for? I need to drag it home tomorrow.

Car has 66k on it and is an '01 SS 3800

Old 11-23-2013, 11:42 PM

did you ever find out the problem and solution?
Im having issues with my 2001 SS, only has 141,121 miles
wont run, I hooked the battery charger got a 100% full charge still wouldn't start, all lights and interior lights were on, just wouldn't start, it has a brand new alternator, brand new battery.

Old 11-24-2013, 09:49 AM
1 Year Member

This goes into the category of 'beats me' We replaced the starter- still no love. Replaced the serpentine belt since it was worn some. Checked all the fuses- the A/C was blown so replaced it. Right now the A/C bearing is being replaced since it was shot enough that it was throwing the belt.

Somewhere in the midst of all this it started. Possibly the bearing was binding enough not to get it to spin over and then when it finally broke it fired up- all speculation.

Old 11-24-2013, 10:55 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Hi Scott and Ms Lemoncar, (no first name in her profile)
Scott, Did your motor sound like it was cranking slow when your Monte wouldn't start? I may be wrong but I don't think a bad belt can put enough pressure to slow down or stop the Start Cycle. The belt would pop before that.
I think you both may want to change out your ignition module. Seem to me that when you had the belt and AC pull replaced the ignition module got hit, tapped, jarred back to life.
Also, did you have any lights on your CEL at that time? When my ignition module went there were not codes in my CEL. The car wouldn't start but would it would crank. The module was Bad!. I know it's not your passlock cause your engine cranked. I reckoned having your ignition module tested to see if that could be a problem in the future!

Last edited by JC Colon; 11-24-2013 at 11:09 AM.
Old 11-24-2013, 02:50 PM
1 Year Member

Well it seems the a/c compressor is dead, when we got it out lots of metal shavings came out. Guesstimating that the bearings locked in place not allowing the motor to spin, eventually they got free and allowed the motor to spin up.
We'll find out tomorrow when the new one comes in. So all new freon goes in just in time for winter

Old 12-16-2013, 08:26 PM

I just replaced ALL the fuses, bought a brand new battery, and BCM, I'm gonna unlock the BCM and take it to the stealership to have them finish the programming, ill let you know my updates IF it cured anything.

Old 12-18-2013, 11:09 PM

just got it back from the Stealership, thought I would update you, it seems that it was the BCM.
I have to replace the Temp. Harness, the ABS and Trac, sensor, and all the problems should be gone... hopfully.