Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

4th Gen ('81-'88): no spark

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2014, 04:41 PM
Default no spark

I could seriously use some help here. 84 monte carlo no spark. Ignition module and coil pack fine. No power to the distributor wire. Ran wire straight from battery to distributor still no spark. Made extra ground from battery to car still no spark. Rotary button spins. Ign-ecm fuse blown, replaced fuse still no spark. Im out of ideas. Ecm? Prog? Ignition switch? Anyone know what else causes no spark?

Old 05-17-2014, 05:56 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by bad84mc
I could seriously use some help here. 84 monte carlo no spark. Ignition module and coil pack fine. No power to the distributor wire. Ran wire straight from battery to distributor still no spark. Made extra ground from battery to car still no spark. Rotary button spins. Ign-ecm fuse blown, replaced fuse still no spark. Im out of ideas. Ecm? Prog? Ignition switch? Anyone know what else causes no spark?
Are you positive the Module in the Distributor is good? Did you replace it with a new Ac Delco module? or did you just do a swap from another used one? That could be the issue...

A blown fuse for ign/ecm... I can honestly say Ive yet to see that fuse get shorted out...

What was going on before it lost spark? did it just quit while driving it down the road? I guess a little more info would definitely be helpful...
Is the motor original? whats in it now? did this issue happen after a motor swap possibly?

I'm sure someone else will chime in with other ideas/answers...
Thanks for joining the MCF Family!

Old 05-18-2014, 01:03 PM
Default no spark

I had the control module tested at auto zone and it passed fine. The motor is the 305 it came with. Had done a motor swap with a 350 but it started knocking after a couple months so put the 305 back in. Its been running fine for the past several months good power for a 305. Ive done away with most of the electrical and emission components of the car, pretty much a motor carb setup. Its been doing fine this way for months. Got in the car about 2 weeks ago now to go meet a friend and was running behind so didnt give it the usual warm up period I usually do. Let it warm up with minor revving for about 45 seconds and put in drive and started to go. Car moved about three feet and shut off. Would not start again. Heavy fuel smell from flooding and trying to crank. Poured gas directly into carb thinking it may have been a block or no fuel into carb and still no start. Started looking into the spark issue believing the car had no fire to bust the gas. Ive had the control module tested, the coil pack replaced, and all the other work posted earlier trying to figure this out. Take the number one plug out and put it back into the wire and lay in on the vehicle to check for spark and there is none. Also thank you for the welcome to the forum and the quick response.

Old 05-18-2014, 01:15 PM

Also took a test light and put it to the wire that goes into the distributor for power and no light came on when switched to on position or trying to start. The test light does work lol.

Old 06-07-2014, 01:18 PM

Have you checked the IGN fuse? Your ignition switch also could be bad. You could have a bad ground, too.

Old 06-08-2014, 08:12 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member

I don't know what kind of test you can do to an ignition module(Never knew there was one) I'm still leaning towards a bad module.

Have you checked the timing? pull number one plug out.. remove the cap off the distributor and see if the distributor is even turning... If it does turn..when you bring number one cylinder to TDC... is the rotor button pointing at the number one terminal?

Its quite possible that you may have a broken/Bad timing chain.
(No timing.. No Spark)

How many miles are on the 305?

Old 06-08-2014, 10:09 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member

So I'm still learning about all these computer controls. I am an old school mechanic in a new school world. My experience tells me that even if the timing is off, there should still be spark. You said you ran a wire from the battery directly to the distributor? Was that both positive and negative wires, and still no juice? Did you check those wires for power before you connected them, or just assumed that power was available? In electronics we use a meter and trace backwards from where we have no power to the point where we find it. If the positive wires has power, then there is a open to ground. Also, I bereave there is a fusable link in the ignition system. If there is and it has blown, which is also unlikely but still possible, that would cause no spark. As far as the timing being off, I can't say anything more than what I've said above. I don't have the experience to agree or disagree with it. Take your time when testing with the meter. Work from your distributor back to your fuse block and then to the battery. Someone mentioned your ignition switch, but I don't remember you saying that your engine will not crank? But if it dose, you can rule out the ignition switch. Good Luck!