Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Opinion Needed: No power steering

Old 05-04-2017, 11:12 AM
Default No power steering

Ok so today on the way to work some dummy tried to pass on a corner and I took the ditch instead of a head on. Well I got stuck in the ditch cuss all the rain. I had a friend come pull my car out but now I dont have any power steering! It was all fine before I hit the ditch and wasn't going to fast so really didnt jar anything hard. The pump is really full now and smells burnt. So I was wondering if it could have messed up the pump cuss I tried getting out turning back and forth and drive to reverse. Or if it could have messed up the rack. Any help would be nice

Old 05-05-2017, 08:46 AM

You have no power steering as in it's hard to turn? where is the vehicle now?

Old 05-10-2017, 06:42 AM
Default No power steering

Yes very hard to turn and I'm still driving car to work tell I get a chance to work on it still drives just turning is very hard

Old 05-10-2017, 09:05 AM

I'd say start by getting the front in the air, turn it to see if there's a difference and see if anything else is broken or hindering it from turning.

Old 05-10-2017, 06:01 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Smile

Keep in mind all of these are just a speculation as there is nothing to look at except the description of what is broken.

You may have a broken pump also?
Is it making any noise a whiney noise or a growl when you turn it?

Caution if you drive without the proper function of the power steering it could take out seals and other functional parts.

Check the system to make sure none of the fluid supply tubing/hoses are kinked.

If you can get the front up on Jack stands and try turning the wheel to see if something is binding or if there is debris from the ditch that has lodged in the Rack or the steering system as well.

Consult youtube video's to see if there is a fix for the pump also.

Good luck hope you get it fixed.

Search this Thread