Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): No low beam head lights or DRLs

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2014, 06:27 PM
Question No low beam head lights or DRLs

I just bought a 2004 Monte Carlo LS last week. Needed another vehicle to be the daily driver and got a good deal on it because some other things needed to be repaired.

All the lights worked a couple of days ago I drove around town, got it a new battery, (learned about resetting pass lock that day!) flushed the coolant system, got an oil change and new tires, normal stuff. Drove home that night had head lights.

Had an issue with the coolant system that required me to not drive the car for a few days. I noticed that while I was working on the coolant system the DRL's weren't coming on when I was running the engine. Didn't think much about it.

When I got the coolant system square again and had head/ac working and the car was running at a constant temp on various test drives I was going to take it in to have it inspected since the tags expired. At the first turn out of my drive way I noticed the turn signals weren't working.

So I did a u turn, went back home and tinkered with the turn signal switch a few times and they came back on. I decided to verify all the other lights where working (since they all need to to pass inspection) and low and behold I found out the head lights don't work.

I tried manually with the head light ****, I tried automatically with the night sensor, all lights come on except lo beam headlights.

I searched the internet as well as this forum and found a few likely culpits, the fuses appear to be fine, so do the relays but I may check them again. One thing I've noticed with my high beams is that you have to hold the switch to get the high beams to stay on and I've tried flashing them multiple times to get lows back but it didn't work. During all of my reading I've discovered that the multifunction switch that controls the turn signals and the manual head light switch (the one with the dimmer) can cause the problem.

I've also read that the BCM can cause this issue. I've had to reset the pass lock more than once, since I bought it, and my dash lights did flicker for a little bit on the first day but stopped after I changed the battery.

So my question is with the symptoms I've listed which part is it? The multifunction (turn signals can intermittently not work) the head light and dimmer switch (seems to work except head lights don't come on) or the BCM or maybe a combination of the two.

I really want to drive this car but can't because the inspection is out of date and I need to get it inspected and rolling so I can fix the original outstanding issue (catalytic converter needs to be replaced)

I really do like this car and I wanna fix it up, any help would be appreciated!

Jeff

Last edited by jdubs81; 12-06-2014 at 06:30 PM.
Old 12-07-2014, 03:43 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

It's your multifunction switch I had the problem twice I had to replace them. They are normally expensive but I looked on ebay and got mines for 35 bucks. Easy to replace. I had the same problem as you the second time. The first my lows and highs were on at the same time and messages said high beams out

Old 12-08-2014, 09:31 AM

Yeah I went ahead and ordered another one, found a good deal on it so I'm praying it works. Thanks for the confirmation!

(will update as I get the part and replace on the car.)

Old 12-08-2014, 07:08 PM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by jdubs81
Yeah I went ahead and ordered another one, found a good deal on it so I'm praying it works. Thanks for the confirmation!

(will update as I get the part and replace on the car.)
good luck

Old 12-15-2014, 12:36 PM

Replacing the multifunction switch totally fixed the headlight issue. After I had gotten it back together the turn signals still didn't work, went to O'Reilly and picked up a new hazard switch everything worked and I was able to get it inspected. My car was a little neglected but I'm hoping to fix it up a little because I've found out I really like driving this car lol.

Old 12-16-2014, 07:42 AM
10 Year Member

That's great to hear glad your car is functioning properly