Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): No Crank No Start

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 05:52 AM
Default No Crank No Start

Any help would be much appreciated, my Monte was fine, drove home normally parked it and next day nothing, no crank-no start. I have not had any problems with this car in five years other than replacing a MAF. Thought it was the battery as battery was 4 years old and its been cold in Ohio. Replaced it and no change, still no crank-no start. Tried both the 10 min security relearn and the 30 min security relearn-no change. All fuses and relays test good. I don't know where to go from here.....help

Old 01-13-2017, 07:40 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Smile

Originally Posted by cathysmonte
Any help would be much appreciated, my Monte was fine, drove home normally parked it and next day nothing, no crank-no start. I have not had any problems with this car in five years other than replacing a MAF. Thought it was the battery as battery was 4 years old and its been cold in Ohio. Replaced it and no change, still no crank-no start. Tried both the 10 min security relearn and the 30 min security relearn-no change. All fuses and relays test good. I don't know where to go from here.....help
This seems to be a common issue with the Monte Carlo, I read a lot on the 6th gens about this.
The only thing I can suggest you try and this is just a wild guess. Sometimes when the steering wheel is cranked to much to one side it can have an issue when you start and also the shifter I believe has a contact point that may allow the car not to start.

Also take a look at the fuses as they may be blown, when the battery was replaced, sometimes it happens.
Ground wire can be corroded and you may not see it or it may not be making the proper contact. It's surprising how many times that the ground wire has been an issue and a pain. Good Luck

Old 01-13-2017, 11:11 AM
Default no crank no start

I don't think steering column is binding as it is straight in the driveway. I did try to put car in neutral and start-same response-nothing, so put back in park. I will check the fuses again when I get home, never occurred to me to check again after I changed the battery. Thank you for trying to help me.

Old 01-14-2017, 06:54 AM

I checked fuses again-all good, now the question is do you know where the ground wire is? Thanks

Old 01-14-2017, 07:42 AM

the ground wire is down near the battery at the frame. if cleaning that doesn't help id look at the starter for issues.

Last edited by sharpeezss; 01-14-2017 at 07:45 AM. Reason: addd info
Old 01-14-2017, 08:37 AM

thank you, as soon as freezing rain/ice storm stops I will go out and look there.

Old 01-19-2017, 05:33 AM

ok, had had a chance to recheck all fuses test good (again), still no crank, no start. Car will try to crank if you use a mechanic bypass remote switch-so wouldn't that rule out the starter? thanks again

Old 01-19-2017, 06:40 AM

what do you mean by try to crank? does the engine turn over at a good speed?

Old 01-19-2017, 08:48 AM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Could be an issue with the ignition switch.

Old 01-19-2017, 10:07 AM

yeah, I thought that too, but replaced ignition switch with no change. Recap-new battery, checked all fuses and relays-good, checked grounds-all ok, new ignition switch- with key in ignition chimes will sound, dash lights and radio all work, you can hear fuel pump energize-but then absolutely nothing happens. Oh yeah and I tried all the key relearn things.