Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

New to this and need some help

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 11:59 AM
Default New to this and need some help

Hi Everyone;

This past weekend, I bought a 2001 Monte Carlo LS. The prev. owner was a bit of a slob that didn't know much about vehicle care. Needless to say I spent several hours cleaning it and getting parts and tires, etc. I found out that it has keyless entry, (the prev. owner said it didn't have keyless), so, I bought some fobs yesterday and programmed them --Anyway....the stereo is in rough shape (buttons worn, etc.), and I'd like to replace it with another factory stereo from a Monte Carlo. I'm aware that the stereo communicates with the rest of the car (for example tire pressure, oil changes, keyless entry, etc.)
---My questions are.... will I have to do something with the replacement stereo to make it work in my car? I don't think my car has an alarm. If the replacement stereo came from a car with an alarm, will my car now have an alarm? Or will I have to add something else to get an alarm?

I'm also wondering about swapping seats. Mine aren't heated nor are they power. Does my car have a wire harness in place, so all I would have to do is connect it? Or does it need to be rewired?

--these questions have been frustrating me, as I have been unable to get my answers by searching the web. Any help from someone with smarts regarding this would be GREATLY appreciated!

Old 11-16-2011, 12:09 PM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

I believe the radios are all the same asfar as alarm & controls ull have to get it programed to your car otherwise the radio will go into lock mode wen u hook it up & I'm not to sure bout the seats

welcome to the forum

Old 11-16-2011, 12:17 PM

You should have the harness underneath for heated seats, however, you'll have to get the switches and pop them into the center console right above the cup holders where the filler plate is. There should also be a connector for power seats (the motor is in the seat itself) so if there isn't all you need is a power line hooked to the motor to make them work, assuming there isn't a factory harness already under there.

Old 11-16-2011, 12:23 PM

My stereo doesn't have a program mode for alarm---does that mean the alarm is part of the stereo----what about the replacement stereo....and how do i program it?

On the seats----AWESOME! Absolutely awesome!---thanks guys!

Old 11-16-2011, 01:07 PM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

If your car has the factory alarm there will be a little red LED on the face of the radio. I'm not aware of any programming options for the alarm other than the audio (horn beep) and visual (lights flash) when you lock/unlock the vehicle. You can turn those features off/on through the radio. The alarm automatically arms when you lock the doors and disarms when you unlock the doors. When the alarm is armed the LED on the radio should have a slow blink rate.You can test the alarm by rolling down a window, then closing and locking the doors with your FOB. Reach in through the open window, manually unlock the door and open it. The alarm should go off.

Old 11-16-2011, 01:38 PM

thanks for the reply.....the LED blinks slow, but the alarm didn't sound when I did the test you described....also, going through the menu on the stereo, there is no option for alarm....should there be?...the options are for horn, chirp, locks, and light.

Old 11-16-2011, 01:52 PM

I know mine has the blinking red LED on the face of the radio but I don't have an alarm on mine.

Old 11-16-2011, 02:01 PM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

There is an alarm setting in my radio that I rmbr can't tell ya where it shows up cuz I've sence removed my but as far as ikn the blinking light us for the radio anti theft it'll stay solid if put in a diff vehicle, ur dealer can program a stock radio to work in your car it's about $30 or so to do it

Old 11-16-2011, 02:01 PM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Mike 00LS
I know mine has the blinking red LED on the face of the radio but I don't have an alarm on mine.
I wasn't aware that the radio had the LED if the factory alarm wasn't installed. I learned something new today.

There isn't an alarm option through the radio in my '03 - just the audio/visual prompts previously mentioned. Did you wait a few seconds before opening the door? IIRC it takes 30 seconds for the alarm to engage. Does your FOB have a panic button (red button with a horn on it)? If so, pressing that button should instantly activte the alarm.

Another way to test the alarm is to lock the vehicle with the FOB, then open the trunk with the key. The alarm should go off. You should be able to open the trunk with the FOB without the alarm going off.

If not, then you may not have an alarm system.

Last edited by 03SSLE; 11-16-2011 at 02:09 PM.
Old 11-16-2011, 02:08 PM

the panic button did sound it....i'll try the door trick again and wait longer....will let you know what i find out...thanks

Quick Reply: New to this and need some help