Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

New to forum Many problems solved wanted to share

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 07:16 AM
Thumbs up New to forum Many problems solved wanted to share

I am new to the forum and i just want to introduce myself . I bought a 2000 Monte Carlo with 100000 miles for $800 . The car has the usual problems , but I have fixed most of them. Here are the problems and solutions. I have been working on cars 40 years so most I can fix with a little internet help.
1) Blower motor not working
2) transmission not working in O.D.
3) heat selector from vent to defrost not working
4) drivers window switch was working sometimes , now dead
5) Car sat for a year . nasty .
6) rusted out drivers rear wheel well

Solutions
1) Blower Motor shaft rusted , blown fuse , resistor pack dead. Lubed motor with TAL-5 and contact cleaner , got resistor pack made in slovenia off ebay (they are all the same for almost all G.M. ) for $22.
2)Transmission was rebuilt. o.d. clutch hog and solenoid pack as well as entire trans for $900 by master mechanic
3)This was interesting. I got lucky . Two brake lines were replaced before I bought the car . They must have knocked the VACUUM line off (yes I said vacuum) for all of you think that they are all electronic controls. The line is on the left side of the manifold, runs down the battery tray and into a wiring harness , through the cabin filter area , and into the car.
4) new switch on order , but window is tight , track or motor needs work when I get the switch.
5) 10 hours of cleaning
6) pop riveted sheet metal behind wheel well and bondo the areas. Painted with crappy perfect match that does not match. Bright white that is yellow.
I have pictures of the car , but will post later.
Hope this helps someone else.

Old 05-12-2012, 10:08 AM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Welcome to the site. Glad your getting it fixed up.

Old 05-12-2012, 01:13 PM
Default picture time

Looks pretty good .

ImageShack Album - 5 images

Old 05-12-2012, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by double trouble
3)This was interesting. I got lucky . Two brake lines were replaced before I bought the car . They must have knocked the VACUUM line off (yes I said vacuum) for all of you think that they are all electronic controls. The line is on the left side of the manifold, runs down the battery tray and into a wiring harness , through the cabin filter area , and into the car.
I couldn't tell you how many times I've pinched the vacuum lines behind the dash when working on my stereo. The first time it took me a few weeks to figure it out... now I make it a point to test everything before putting the dash back together.