Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

New Engine and Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2015, 09:47 PM
1 Year Member
Default New Engine and Transmission

Hi friends! I have a difficult decision ahead of me. My 2002 SS just blew a head gasket, needs a new lower intake, and may have a cracked head. Also, my transmission has been jerky for a while and is in need of a rebuild or replacement. The car has 148k miles, but the exterior of the car is perfect, and I have been spending time and money getting it ready for shows this Spring. I really don't want to part with the car.

Is the best choice in terms of durability and reliability that I have either a new or rebuilt engine and new or rebuilt transmission put in? I just don't think I want to drop in another used engine and take the chance of this issue happening soon again. New and rebuilt engines I have looked at also come with a 3 year warranty.

Finally, does anyone know of a particular company that makes or rebuilds engines and transmissions that you would recommend at a reasonable price? I'd like to stay in the neighborhood of 2,000 for the engine and 1,500 for transmission.

Thanks guys!

Old 01-09-2015, 10:02 PM

Monte of the Month -- February 2015
Monte Of The Month -- April 2017
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Sorry to hear about the trouble you are having with your Monte.

Old 01-10-2015, 11:06 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

From what I understand, TripleEdgePerformance (TEP) is the best shop to get a trans for these cars from.

As for the engine, I guess the question is why did a head crack and what failed on the LIM besides gaskets? Also, 3800's are so common everywhere, if there is nothing wrong with the bottom end, you could just get a salvage head and LIM cheap, replace the head gaskets up and be done for less the cost of the engine replacement.

Also, if you did this, use the FelPro metal core LIM gaskets.

You could find a low miles donor/used engine and before popping it into the Monte, replace everything from head gaskets up.

You have a few options in front of you, I'd see what is most cost effective and lines up with your wants.
If I were in your shoes and dead set on doing an engine/trans swap, pending you have no engine mods to move over, I'd give some consideration to sourcing a full out L67, rebuild it from head gaskets up and pop it in. Not sure I would do it, but I'd factor it in there.

Old 01-10-2015, 11:34 AM
1 Year Member

Thanks for the input. After doing some research, I found out about a local performance and machining shop. They can rebuild, or custom build an engine from the ground up. I am going to try to get a quote from them on Monday as well. As for the transmission, ZZPerformance has a Remanufactured 4t65e for $1,200.

I am trying to think positive...I was going to clean up the engine bay to get ready for shows this year. Now, with a new shiny engine, that's going to be a little easier anyway!

Old 01-10-2015, 08:47 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2014
10 Year Member

triple edge performance, for the trans, they also rebuild engines now, i would google triple edge and gave dave a call

Old 01-14-2015, 02:59 PM
1 Year Member

I feel like I'm getting a new car! Purchased the new engine and transmission. it's going to be put in this coming week! I'll let everyone know how it pans out.

Old 01-14-2015, 08:56 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Wow, that's the "Money Shot" move there. Cannot really get better than that, it will be just like a new car. Sweet! Your going to be so happy by going this route. Are they taking parts off your existing engine like radiator hoses and such? Might want to see what they are trying to reuse and see if it is smart money to throw a few new parts on if they are near the end of their normal life span. Again... WOW heh heh heh, new engine and tranny... that's over the top! Good job.

You should try and talk them into cleaning the engine cradle with a pressure washer while they have it out. I would bet it is just nasty dirty from all the years of road grime, fluids and such. I did mine while my engine was out. If they can give you a couple hours to clean the engine bay in the hard to reach areas when the engine is out, that would be something you should try and do too. A bag of microfiber rags, some citrus degreaser from the dollar store and go for it. Just helps you have a cleaner looking engine bay for car shows etc.

Old 01-14-2015, 09:13 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2014
10 Year Member

Who did u go with if u don't mind asking

Old 01-14-2015, 09:28 PM

That sounds exciting your car will be in top health and drive perfect!

Old 01-15-2015, 08:55 AM
1 Year Member

ZIPPY02, that's crazy how similarly we thought this one out! I have asked them to install all new hoses, belts, plugs, wires, and filters. Also, they are giving me a day to clean the engine cradle. It's gonna be spick 'n span!

All the work is being done by Brangers Racing in Elizabethtown, Kentucky. Justin Brangers was the top choice, as he is always working with customers on the NHRA circuits. He's even raced and won few of his own. Check 'em out here: Brangers Racing Performance Machine Shop

Quick Reply: New Engine and Transmission