Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): New BCM, now low tire pressure won't reset

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2016, 09:52 AM
1 Year Member
Default New BCM, now low tire pressure won't reset

I'm back again!

I finally broke down and had a new BCM put in our 2003 Monte Carlo SS. The dealer installed and programmed the new BCM. (I did this after a few episodes of non-starting and having to continuously do the relearn or wait 30 minutes)

Right after they installed the new BCM, I had 2 new tires put on the front. It's the tire place I've gone to for years and tires and alignments are ALL they do. After the new tires were put on, the low tire pressure light is on. Took it back this morning for an alignment and they are saying the tire pressure light can't be reset. They looked in the radio settings, and TIRE MON isn't an option. It goes from Oil life to LT Delay. I don't remember if it was there before the BCM swap. They tried the parking light method too and it didn't work either. They said the dealer put the wrong BCM in or didn't program it to read tire pressures.

Thoughts? Should every 03 MC have the TIRE MON in the radio settings? It is a stock radio by the way. I wasn't able to program KEY FOB's before the BCM swap, but I haven't tried with the new BCM yet. may not be relevant.

Thanks guys n gals!

Old 11-03-2016, 10:58 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Hi Mandy. Take a look at my thread
TCM, ABS, Tire Presure, What the H@%%
I got some good answers for a similar problem. My 03 SS is giving a few more warnings than yours but I think both our problems are related to the same thing, a bad or going bad hub causing the speed sensor to be off.
The_Maniac, Jason, always had good info. He hasn't steered me wrong yet. ABS,
Traction, Speed, tire pressure info all come from the speed sensor in your Hubs. So if you have a bad hub it can cause any or all of these sensors to start acting up. Why it started with the new BCM I can't answer. I'm still learning about the BCM system myself. Gotta get a new one for my 02 SS. But check out that threat. It may help you out!

Old 11-03-2016, 12:59 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Hi Mandy.

Couple things.

First, I hope your mechanic got it right with the BCM as the source of no start/re-learn required problem.
BCM's rarely fail, the ignition switch housing is a more common that gives off similar symptoms.
A faulty BCM will throw a code starting with a "B". The ignition switch housing won't throw a code and often causes weird dash instrument and turn signal problems.
As for the TPM, the problem could be an ABS sensor like JC and Jason mention, but I think you would get a ABS light and "Traction Off", not just TPM. IMHO I think the problem is either a bad TPM sensor, or improper BCM programming. I own a Tech 2 scanner and have programed BCM's before. In the programming process the scanner asks a series of questions. One of those questions is "Does the vehicle have an upgraded radio?". This is an easy one to get wrong because anything other than a AM only radio is an upgrade and it will disable all integrated radio monitor functions if you answer "No". Without a subscription to the GM app the BCM can't be reprogrammed and has to be replaced and programmed with the correct info. I don't know of any Monte's with AM only radios.
Try resetting some other radio controlled monitor functions like "Oil Life".

Old 11-04-2016, 12:47 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2015
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Try doing this

Start your car.

Pull the headlight *** back one click and push it back in. Repeat the pull/push 2 more times within 5 seconds and the dash will beep and the tire light will go out.

This is how I have to reset my tires since I changed the stock radio

Old 11-06-2016, 08:25 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Ohara, I did the headlights thing on the Widow. With the car running. Pulled the head light switch to the parking light position 3 time and the dashboard beeped at me and the Low Tire pressure light went out. My Mrs thanks you! And I thank you twice. Once for having the solution.and once for getting her off my back about it!