Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Need some break pads and rotors

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 08:19 AM

Monte of the Month -- August 2013
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Need some break pads and rotors

My pads are getting very low (not scraping the rotors yet) but I am hearing a slight clicking sound from the breaks when slowing down at stop lights.

So, I figured I need 4 new breaks pads and 4 rotors (mine are original) for my 06 SS and I want to get a set that are very dependable but at the same time won't break the bank. Can I get some suggestions on some nice rotors and pads that won't warp on me, as I have no idea which type to go with right now. From what I have read, I am not really feeling the drilled rotors. Slotted, perhaps..

I'm not sure if it matters but I change my wheels to a 20 inch wheel in the summer months but will go back to my stock 18's in about a week until snow falls. Do I need a special rotors and pads for the bigger wheels or am I okay with the same ones that I would use with the stock 18's?

Old 09-27-2011, 08:40 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

You'll be fine with the stock sizes for the larger wheels.

I would look for a quality Centric Blank Rotor and some good brake pads.

Old 09-27-2011, 09:08 AM

I just picked up Drilled and Slotted Rotors for my Monte, Front & Back... I hope I didn't make a mistake by making that choice....eeekkkk....

Old 09-27-2011, 11:04 AM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

not sure on rotors but EBC makes some gret pads i got em for the Monte (EBC Redstuff) & the GTO (EBC Yellowstuff) & they work great, on there site they have a list of all there diff pads & decriptions to help u decide wat u need

Old 09-27-2011, 11:17 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2011
Monte Of The Month -- April 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

What is a good brand of drilled and slotted roters? May but this on my mod list

Old 09-27-2011, 11:17 AM

Bought a set of EBC dimpled and slotted rotors and EBC pads from Brake Pads, Brake Rotors - Best Deals on EBC, Brembo Kits and more | Place for Brakes had them installed back early in the year. Best move I made, have not been disappointed from the minute I backed the car out of the garage. They had a heck of a sale on them when I bought mine, not sure what they are going for now but cheap and brakes are two words I don't like to see together. Would rather wait if at all possible then settle.

Old 09-27-2011, 11:20 AM
5 Year Member

Jafo is dimpled and slotted and drilled and slooted the same? if not what is the diff?

Old 09-27-2011, 12:53 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Dimpled doesn't go all the way through, drilled does.

Old 09-27-2011, 05:43 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
Dimpled doesn't go all the way through, drilled does.
So performance wise how do they function differently CHI? I am seriously looking at replacing my rotors and pads they have 73K on them and the Deuce don't brake as well as my wife's monte with new brakes. I want to up grade from stock

Old 09-27-2011, 06:36 PM

drilled vents the air from between rotor and pad. much better stop every time. even with dimpled you could get brake fade if you drive hard. ADO from napa makes a great ceramic for front and back. or centric thermoquiet. use crc brake squeal stuff on the pads and clips just in case with either. if ur not going performance they r top quality for a reasonable price. i think advanced uses tq. if u dont need rotors and rn't getting drilled ones i'd stay with the oem ones until you really need them. no rotor lasts like and stock one. if ur getting a clicking when u brake hard or at all i'd really take a look at what that rotor looks like. these cars have been known to warp rotors and i've seen it once already on an 06 ss. not much changes thru the years sumtimes

Quick Reply: Need some break pads and rotors